Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Too much liquids?
kte23 posted:
I'm new to the board guys and I could really use some help.
My 13 month old son has been drinking so much lately that he leaks through almost all of his diapers. I change him every hour almost and sometimes that doesn't even help. He still wakes up at least twice a night because he's thirsty, so i give him a half sippy cup of milk each time, and I change him at least twice a night and he still wets through his clothes.
During the day he drinks anything from water, milk, coke, and juice. I'm worried something might be causing him to drink so much.
His appetite is still pretty good, but all he wants to do is drink. Am i doing something wrong? Has anyone else had a problem like his before?
Please help! Diapers are starting to break my piggy bank!

Anon_1533 responded:
Yikes! I must admit, the first thing to jump out at me in this post is the fact that your 13 month old is drinking coke!!! I'm not bashing you, but PLEASE think about cutting that out first. There is no nutritional value to soda and the negatives to it are endless.

As far as the endless drinking, I would suggest a couple of things. First, offer milk or juice only at meal and snack times and only after he's eaten a good portion. I have to give my kids (3 and 1) their drinks last, otherwise they'll chug it, fill up, and not eat their food. Outside of meals, only offer water, especially in the middle of the night. I've found that my kids drink far less if it's water. If they are truly thirsty, they will drink the water; otherwise, they will pass it up. You can also try introducing a real cup versus a sippy cup. My 12 month old can use one; that really surprised me! They will drink less from a real cup.

Outside of that, you may want to talk to the doctor. Excessive thirst and urinating are signs of several things, including thyroid disorders and diabetes.

kte23 replied to Anon_1533's response:
Thank you for the advice. I know the coke doesn't sound good, but I don't give him much of it. That I can promise. I normally give him milk at night because I have tried giving him water and everytime I did, after the first couple sips he would throw a fit and the cup would naturally hit my head, (he didn't throw it at me on purpose, it just normally happens to be where his arm would end up-his eyes would be closed.)
I'm becoming really concerned about it because I just don't understand it. My moms a nurse and she said sometimes this could be signs of an illness so we are binging him for a blood panel (which would be unfortunately necessary).
But as far as meal times, he still eats really well, (he's a healthy 30lbs- hes in the 98th percentile- and he's 32" tall.)
I give him his cup and he normally only drinks two to three times a meal, becaue if I think he's drinkning too much I take it and hide it until he's thristy again (i know he's thirsty when he's reaching for my cup.)
I've tried to let him use a normal cup but he spills it everywhere! But we are working on it, he just doesn't want I think. Thanks fot the advice again, and if you have anything else to add I would be more than grateful!

megbrubaker replied to kte23's response:
I have started doing this with my 3 yo, he always tells me he's thirsty and I say ok you can have milk or water. and then he'll say "juice" and I'll say water. So i give him a cup of water and he doesn't want it. I tell him if you are thirsty you'd drink it.

DD is a "drink-aholic" too. She loves her milk. I try to not let either of the kids have the drink before they eat.

But I know where they are coming from. I drink a ton, I always have something to drink. I try to drink a lot of water, but usually pop ends up in my day. I am just trying to keep the kids out of the pop. My DS loves to have sprite (and now he wants pepsi--thats what I drink) and DD always tries to steal my pop. But that is because my dad has let her have some before---dumba$$. I swear.

But I agree, I'd ask the doctor about it. My DD has the strongest smelling urine imaginable--we cloth diaper but even when she is in disposables its very strong. DH took her to the doctor for her 15 month checkup and asked about it. The doc said that some kids just have stronger smelling urine. Ok, now I'm off on my own tangent. Sorry!
Megan (26), DH (30)
Two beautiful children, DS: Boston(3)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amanda(33), DH (37), DS - Zachary 10/3/08

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.