Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Daycare and naps
island_baby posted:
Hello everyone.

I have an 18 month, few days shy of being 19 months. I got him into a well-known daycare where we ;ive. I switched 2 times until he got here. They are teachers and they do allot of activities with the toddlers, music, art, body mechanincs, etc. They have a strict schedule and each classroom has their schedule posted on the wall. I am happy with the place, but I am a lttile concerned about just one thing. They don't start putting the toddlers down for the nap until about 1:30ish in the afternoon. Which makes the kids fall asleep about 2pm. The schedule is posted to nap from 2-3:30pm, but they start getting them on their cots about 1:30pm and start to sooth them all to sleep.
SO overall, my son gets about an 1hr. 15 min. to 1hr. 30 min per day. At home, he will sleep 2 hours in the afternoon, sometimes three on the weekends. Hegoes to daycare M-F.

He goes to bed at 8pm and sleeps till 7:30-7:45am.

Is this the norm for daycare naps at this age? I wish they would start at 1pm. so they would nap from 1-3pm, but I have not said anything yet. I did express my concern at the beginning and the teahers said that he the kids look tired they start earlier, but I do not think this os happening.

Is this detrmental to my child's overall well-being? I am real anal about his sleep. He seems a little more dramatic and fussy durning the week, than on the weekend. Is this just because he is really stimulated from all the activities at daycare or not napping anough at daycare or just letting out his fellings because he has to do what they say during the day and he can be himslef with mommie?

I am going to drop a suggestion about the naps in the suggestion box at the daycare, but I think the schedule will remain the same as they have a lot of toddlers who go part time and leave at noon.

Any thoughts or similiar experiences out there?

orin34 responded:
I am going back to work next week hopefully and we have been researching day cares and went to go interview for one last week. The one we looked at I really like, so I think we will be sending him there.
Anyways, one of the big concerns I have is that he won't get enough sleep. He is a SLEEPER when done correctly. I could put him down at 12:30 and he won't get up until 5:30... and then go night night at 7 and he gets up at 8:30 (this is changing he will have to get up at 7AM now).
The day care schedule is: they get put down at 12:30 or 1 (depending on how fast they eat lunch, but knowing my son and how he plows through food he will be down at 12:05). BUT I come and pick him up at 3:30.... so he is losing almost two hours of his "normal" sleep nap pattern in addition to losing an hour and a half of his over night sleep pattern. He also needs QUIET with no distractions and his little stuffed toy. I have talked to her about the latter, we will see how it goes.... every child is different but they say toddlers should be getting about 14 hours of sleep a day........ and my son is at about 18 hours...

island_baby replied to orin34's response:
I totally understand where you are coming from. My son does well at home with naps and night sleep. He probably gets around 14 hours at home and 12-13 hours at daycare in a 24-hour period. Your son does sleep great. I left a suggestion in the suggestion box, so we will see how it goes.

Good luck with the new daycare.

fiannakyn replied to island_baby's response:
I had the same concern with my 17 month old foster son. When I started him at the daycare (16 months), they had to put him in the infant room because of space concerns (but he participated in the toddler room activities) soI he would wake up at about 6ish (on his own usualy) he had lunch at 11 and nap at 11:30-1:30 then I got him at 4 and he had another nap from 4:30-6 ish and then to bed at 8:30. when he was moved to the Toddler room a couple weeks ago, they would have lunch at 11:30 and nap from 12:30 -2:30 or 3. I would still pick him up at 4 but he didnt want another nap so soon. He was able to drop the 2nd nap and i just put him in bed by 7:30 instead. 7 if he's acting tired earlier.

on weekends he's waking at 7ish (I think my alarm wakes him on weekdays sense it starts going off at 5:30 and I hit snooze) and ready for a nap at 9:30 but you can tell he doesnt NEED it (mommy does though ) and another nap at about 2, both only about an hr long. then bed at 7:30-8.
Vicky(34), DH(34), DFS(16m) possablily adopting!, DS due Christmas Day, by private adoption.

orin34 replied to island_baby's response:
okay.......... so the day care is great, but like you.... I do have an issue with the sleeping thing.
In interviewing with the owner of the home daycare she offered that my son could be put in a pack n play in a quiet room in another part of the house instead of the main room the other kids are in (think kindergarten meets preschool. with all the toys and things on the walls any kid could want..... GREAT for awake time... not so great for sleep time).
Anyways..... when I picked him up this afternoon the aid was telling me that she thought she would "try putting him down with the other kids". Which means: they choose a spot in the main room, cuddle up with their blanket... and nap.
A 16 month old just lying on his spot on the floor not contained in any way... and right next to the toys.... hmm.
She said "oh he did great.... he slept for about an hour".
WHAT?!!! an HOUR? He is waking up earlier than normal and he only gets one hour of nap during the whole day?

I have to be tactful in my "complaint" to the owner... being a newly enrolled parent and the fact that she could say forget it and be unwilling to work with us.... and we have no other day care we could use. Expecting a toddler to not be distracted by all the toys and to have them plop down on a mat is kind of ridiculous. He has never been the type of kid to just lie down on the couch and sleep.... he needs a "bed". The fact that he did it for an hour is a small miracle.

Sadly they don't have a suggestion box.... but tomorrow I am definitely going to request that he get put in a pack n play in one of the three bedrooms.I am not being unreasonable or demanding she did offer that option during the interview when she asked what his sleeping habits were. Most of the other kids present were about 4 yrs (them I could see on a mat, but a 16 month old? seriously? )

Maybe I am having some issues with not being there for him... but come on! I know the aid is young, but how thick headed is she?

orin34 replied to orin34's response:
UPDATE: I talked to the day care owner and asked her if she could "please try the crib today because he was a crab when I got home due to lack of sleep".
When I picked him up they said he did MUCH better in the crib and that he slept for about three hours. So now, everything is much better and I have no more complaints.
The aid insisted that on Tuesday he went down fine (on the the floor) but one of the other kids woke him up and then he wouldn't go back down again. If he did go down for them on the floor, then I am impressed.... because my son does not sleep except in one of "his places" (aka... car, port a crib, home crib). But anyways....... all resolved and I am much happier now that I have said something and the problem has been fixed

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Brit. Ive been married to DH since 2002. We had our DD on 10/11/2008. We also have one angel baby 2/2/2010 11 weeks. My Husbad works long h...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.