Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

eczema
island_baby posted:
I have a toddler with mild to moderate eczema. I do 1% hydrocortizone one a month for a week. I use baby aquaphor and few other products here and there. It is mostly on ankles and back of knees and top of knees.

Any suggestions to help?
the treatment I am doing is not working or sustaing it like I used to.

I wash all clothes in dreft and rinse cycle twice. And I wash his bed sheets one a week in hot water. No fabric softner or dryer sheets. I put mostly 100% cotton on him. He seems to flare up at daycare more. He plays allot in the sand there and I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

sarah0323 responded:
My LO with eczema is now 6 and we don't have as many flare ups as we did when he was younger but here is some of what I did. I use Eucerin plus intensive repair lotion for my LO. I have always used some type of Eucerin on him. I honestly just wash his clothes in Era. For fabric softner I use vinegar. (the smell goes away)

I have heard differeing opions on how often to give a LO with eczema a bath. Our family Dr. told me to only give him a bath twice a week and only use soap 1 of those times. Our allergist told me to let him take a bath as often as he wanted too. Somewhere along the line it was suggested that we have him take a bath with oatmeal in it. You can buy it already in a package for baths but I just ground some up in the food processor and put some in his bath. Warm to cool baths not hot. Hot water is more drying.

We were prescribed something to help when my LO had flare ups frequently. We haven't had to use it in a while and I can't remember the name of it (it is at home).

This may sound wierd but is he eating something at daycare that he doesn't get at home? My LO had more flareups when he drank milk.
Me (33), SO (33), DD1 (12YO), DS1 (7YO), DS2 (6 YO), DS3 (4YO), DD2 11/2010.

island_baby replied to sarah0323's response:
Thank you very much. I send most of his food for daycare, but they get snacks there and the list that is posted is okay. I tried not to give bath, but he gets so dirty at daycare, sand, sweat, they play hard.

thanks again.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first (and only) time mother to Colton Andrew, who was born 12/7/08. He is the light of our lives. At times he can be a handful, as he is VERY ...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.