Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Day Care
orin34 posted:
My husband and I have been researching day cares this last week since I want to start substituting and he just picked up a second job.
The day care we found is nice because she is willing to work with us. It is five minutes from our house and being a substitute teacher I might not be working every day so she was willing to do "drop in". We will pay $35 a day for four days or less or $30 a day if we do the whole week. She is also letting me pay at the end of the week (since I won't know my schedule) instead of the beginning. It includes breakfast, lunch, and two snacks. She also had "lesson plans" every month copied for parents (they do fun activities like gingerbread ornaments, ect). And she is Licensed with a clean record and great reviews.

I was SHOCKED by the other day cares in our area. They wouldn't do drop ins. They were EXPENSIVE (I even looked at church ones.... thinking they would be willing to help people out and offer lower rates..... ummmm... no.... they were more expensive than anyone). And other day cares expected us to pay them when the child wouldn't be attending (christmas break? when the day care itself isn't even open? are you kidding me?). And others simply refused to take us because our schedule was so uncertain.
It ran down to this:
The church ones were about $1000,
An actual childcare center like kindercare: $900 (no matter how many days he actually shows up)
Home day cares: least expensive but unwilling to do drop ins and again, you had to pay every day no matter what days the kid isn't there. These ran about $600-700.
Ours works out to $500 a month full time (GREAT deal for our area). And the woman is an ex teacher herself so she really understand of my schedule.

SO........... what kind of daycares do you have your children in? and about what does it cost? I am curious as to what the price range is in other areas (I am in so. Cal. )

phoenix31674 responded:
For me I don't do daycare, but 4 hours of preschool every day. Right now it's $324 a month getting ready to go up to $360 in December. Full time daycare would be $500 a month for our income. The military bases prorate based on family income, though, something you don't see too much on the outside.

I think it's amazing you were able to find someone to work with your schedule. Most won't because it's either a scheduling nightmare or they end up losing out on income because they have an empty slot if your child doesn't come.

Daycare costs are one reason I've not pursued going back to work and likely won't until the baby is in school.

orin34 replied to phoenix31674's response:
I think we got REALLY lucky on the drop in thing.... But I have an idea as to WHY she is working with us like she is. She is zoned for 14 kids..... but my son makes only 6. With the economy like it is people are choosing to stay home simply because they can't afford day care or they get very little takehome money after all is said and done. (I will get very little takehome too.... but I am after building teaching connections... not the money)
So anyway she loses money by not having bodies in there. If she had an almost full roster I don't think she would have been so accommodating with our situation. . . . . but as it is.... every little bit helps her stay open.

fiannakyn replied to orin34's response:
I think you are exactly right as to why she's willing to work with you! and congrats on finding her!

My foster son is in a structured daycare facility in south west Missouri. They normaly charge $210 a week($840 a month) for under age 2 and do pre school type activities with toddlers and up. I said normaly charge cause sense he's a ward of the state, i don't have to pay for his daycare. (thankgoodness cause I would be losing over half my take home pay to send him there, but lose the family insurance if I quit.)

I decided on this facility cause 1) because of DFS's background I didn't want to put him in a family home style daycare to minimize confusion to him (I am home #3 plus a few days at the boys and girls town shelter for him at 16 months old!) so I wanted to get used to the idea of "school is someplace you go to during the day but come back home at the end of the day" 2) I have ZERO experience as a parent so I wanted professionals to work with. and 3) they had a webcam I can watch from work. 4) they came HIGHLY recomended and have tons of healthy kid style awards

When researching car facilities I found the avrage home care charges about $400 a month, and most facilities charge about 5-600 for under age 2.

When DS 2 comes, I'll probably put him in a home daycare for at least a few months when all babies need is love and clean diapers. When he gets mobile I'll probably try to get him into the same facility
Vicky(34), DH(34), DFS(16m) possablily adopting!, DS due Christmas Day, by private adoption.

EMB2006 responded:
Congrats on finding something/someone that works with you!!
We are in central Alabama and we have our son in a church daycare that is very well known around our area and pay $110/week = $440/month and that was the cheapest we've found in our area. This program is for children 6 weeks - 5 years old and they start teaching the children at 3 years old. This kind of program was very important to us-we wanted to find somewhere our son could grow and learn-not just being babysat all day while we are at work. He started there at 8 1/2 months old and is now 15 1/2 months old and loves it! Everyone is so nice and they work with us on paying too. Normally money is due on Tuesday but as long it's paid by close of business Friday they don't care. They also support part-time care which is a little cheaper. The rates go down as the child gets older. When he turns 2 it'll go down to $100/week and continues to go down each year. There is a $100 registration fee due each year but they give you ample notice of when it's due. We've had a couple of minor issues-mainly with our son being bit by other children but nothing too bad. Overall we love the place he's in!

Good luck with everything!
Me (25), DH (25), DS (1)-enjoying motherhood to the fullest!!!

Ihgirl1066 replied to EMB2006's response:
Our kids go to an in-home licensed daycare, with about 4 other kids which one is my nephew. We pay 2.75/hr and if the kids get sick as long as we call day b4 we dont have to pay for a missed day.

Anon_167186 replied to Ihgirl1066's response:
am in western maryland and i charged $150.00 a week for this lady to watch her 2 children i went to her home the one child was 5 and the other was around 6 months. I would take there child to school, sporting events and dr appoitments.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Alicia (25) Benito (27) DS- Riley Chase 16 mos 23.5 lbs and 31 in!

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.