Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

17 month old still not walking!
5ylver posted:
DD just turned 17 months old and still won't walk! She cruises along furniture, walls, anything! She's even taken 5 steps on her own, not holding anything, last month but wouldn't do it again. Last week she took 3 steps on her own again. She doesn't cry or look in pain when she did take these steps, she just seems happier with crawling. I've tried everything. When I hold her hands to walk with her she won't do it for very long before she just decides to sit down and take off crawling. She has 3 walkers, 2 of them are push walkers and one is a sit in walker. She stands up on her own just fine and can stand up for quite some time but she won't go anywhere. IDK what to do! I feel like a failure. Am I just putting too much pressure on her to walk? Should I just let her figure it out on her own at her own pace? Any advice is appreciated!

KSHoh responded:
You may want to try to nix the walkers. My son is now 13 months was in the walker from like 7-9 months and then I read an article that the walker can actually hinder them from learning to walk becasue it does not make them use the muscles they need to use for walking so I stopped it that day and he started walking on his own @ 4 weeks ago. Also maybe get a toy she really likes and walk around with it a a leveal that forces her stand to get it. Also talk your doctor or an therapist jst to rule out she does not have muscle weakness or anything. My son is walking on his toes a lot though so I try to correct it when we can becasue it can cause too much stress on the ankles. So also take a look at how she is walking.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I suggest you check in with your pediatrician and discuss your concerns and tell them about the walkers.

Children hit milestones at different times but if there is an issue, facing it earlier is best.

My 3 year old had some weak muscle issues that our pedi pointed out early. We did physical therapy for 6 months when she was a year old. She is now outrunning her 6 year old sister!

Please check back in and let us know how she - and you - are doing. You're not a failure, BTW

H

Ihgirl1066 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
My son finally started 3 days b4 he turned 15 months. He did all the same things you stated and one day he just took off. He does have bowed legs, dont know if that had anything to do with it or not?? But i def ask your pedi if this is a problem

orin34 responded:
lol........... I remember you from the trimester boards!
My son started walking just after a year old. His cousin started walking at 10 months and I kind of felt like a little bit of a "failure" as well (we had the 'perfect child' next to his cousin and what can I say..... I don't like her so I like to rub it in). I was a little frustrated because he COULD have walked way earlier but just wouldn't do it, he did all of the things you listed and like someone else said........ he finally just took off. At this point I kind of wish he would slow down. What was I thinking when wanting him to walk? lol..... lets go back to crawling! he is a lot easier to catch that way!

5ylver replied to orin34's response:
lol yes! I remember you also! I don't think she needs a therapist. Sometimes when she walks holding me she'll hold just my pinky and I feel her putting no weight on it. It's as if she just likes knowing you're there just in case. Her pediatrician wasn't concerned. IDK If she's just scared to because she has tripped over pillows when she was cruising along the couch and got a buckle fracture on her tibia down by her ankle and was in a cast july 7th through august 5th then the orthopedic surgeon said even for 4 weeks after it'll take some time for her just to get back to where she was before the cast and before the cast she was just cruising not yet walking. IDK if it's the setback that slowed her down. I don't know if this makes any sense to you guys but I think she's just scared of walking, as if she thinks she'll hurt herself somehow. she can stand for prolonged periods of time just watching tv. I've seen her take steps before but the second you acknowledge it, she doesn't do it. Seems like she'd rather do it when she thinks we're not looking lol

orin34 replied to 5ylver's response:
I think you are right about the "scared of walking" thing. I was a late walker because something similar happened to me. The way my parents got me to walk was to entice me with toys or whatnot so that I would forget to be afraid.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 23 year old mother of a beautiful baby girl, and expecting another baby girl in January. My wonderful husband and I have been together for 5 ye...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.