Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Plane Question
orin34 posted:
I have only flown once in my life and it was before 9/11. So I will need to do research on what is allowed and what is not. But what would you suggest that I bring on a plane for a toddler?. My son is 17 months but has already exhibited a major terrible twos streak the last couple of weeks. He throws tantrums left and right and the "easy" thing like watching TV wouldn't work for him because he doesn't watch TV at all anyways. He will color for all of two seconds and there isn't much room to play with his cars when he is stuck sitting on my lap.
The plane flight will be about three hours.
I am not to happy about going (this is DH's "need to see his dad" and as it is it is trampling several of my own holiday family traditions). I need some good ideas on how to keep a tantrum throwing toddler in line for three hours in a cramped space.

phoenix31674 responded:
Honestly, even though it will cost more the best thing you can do is buy him his own seat and strap him in his car seat. They are generally used to their car seats and might even fall asleep. I had to fly with my just over two year old trans-Atlantic for a move and having her in her seat was a lifesaver. We'll be move back across the Atlantic when DS is about 15 months old and he will be in his car seat. I just could not imagine holding him for that long since he is a big time walker now at 13 months not to mention incredibly strong. It was bad enough when we flew back for a visit when he was 9 months old. At least on the return flight the plane was empty enough I could take him to the window side of the plane and we had two seats leaving DH and DD with 3 in the center section, but I would not expect empty seats on a domestic flight.

To entertain him, bring books, colors of some sort - I like the mini Doodle Pros - a new little toy or two to dole out during the flight. They might not be popular, but every little bit helps. Just be prepared that you will be utterly exhausted after the flight because you will be spending all your time wrestling with him. The only reason we did not get DS his own seat flying to the US and back is that would have been an extra $1200, but for a domestic flight where it might only be $300, I would have convinced DH to bite the bullet and buy the ticket for him.

orin34 replied to phoenix31674's response:
DH's father bought the tickets because we couldn't afford it. Truth be told, I DONT WANT TO GO!. It was one of those things that was mentioned as a possibility IF I got a teaching job, which I didn't and then nothing was mentioned again. Then all of a sudden his father bought us plane tickets and I have to cancel MY families holiday traditions because DH's dad, brothers, and sister are demanding a visitation with our son. My in laws have been a constant source of irritation and anxiety (for both DH and I) and it has been a non stop parade of inappropriate behavior, demands, 'requests' ( I use that term loosely), and comments since we first found out we were pregnant. My MIL is bad (she lives by us) and my SIL is about the same as MIL in terms of inappropriateness (after I gave birth SIL saunters into the hospital room when I have about ten other friends/family around and says "Did he totally destroy your vag.... ect" )
So needless to say I am very stressed out. I also just recently discovered that the airline requires a birth certificate (which we DONT have.... it has been on DH's "to do" list for the last 17 months). . . . I can only hope that god knew what he was doing when he made my DH resistant to anything "to do" related.

On a happier note: Your suggestions were great, I will have to go shopping for a mini doodle and other travel stuff.

phoenix31674 replied to orin34's response:
Sorry to hear about the inlaw drama. We thankfully don't get much from his immediate family, but some of the other relatives can be a bit dodgy and only to be taken in small doses.

Make sure you get the fisher price doodle pro. I've had the Little Tykes one (not sure if they make a small one) and the iron filings did not stick to the screen worth beans. But we've been through 3 of the little ones with DD. Even before she could draw they were fun because we could draw animals, letters and shapes for her and have her tell us what they were.

Best of luck to you. Kids that age are such a handful because they just want to get down and explore. I would also suggest just letting him walk up and down the aisle for a bit when the seatbelt sign is off. I'm sure it will help him some and give your arms a break.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (32) Proud work from home mama to my petite little pixie, born 9.28.08, and my bouncing baby boy is due to arrive 5.14.10.

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.