Cough?
orin34 posted:
My son was sick the week before thanksgiving... my mom had him that weekend and she said he wasn't coughing at that time.... I am trying to rack my brain to figure out when it started and how long it has been. I am not the type to freak out about coughs or colds.... but his cough is downright frightening. He coughs..... and then he starts to gasp for air. It sounds A LOT like whooping cough if you listen to video of it. BUT, he has two teeth coming in and he might just have a cough and be sucking in extra saliva which causes him to gasp for air. It's a toss up at this point.
I actually got it on video for my pediatrician (LOVE technology) and will show it to her when we go in tomorrow....
Can he still get whooping cough if he has started the vaccine series (???) He hasn't finished the series yet, but he has the first two at least. I was supposed to work (I am a sub) but I canceled the job to take him in to the dr. and stay home with him (canceling is really frowned upon, so I wouldn't do it lightly).
My mom said that she was leaning toward the saliva theory because in the 2 minute video he only did it once.... but he can have 4 or 5 episodes in 10 minutes or only one episode in the whole afternoon....

orin34 responded:
Update: Went to the dr today and she tried to listen to his lungs but he wouldn't let her near him.... she said that she thinks they sound okay but can't be 100% sure because he was moving around a lot.
He did have an ear infection and sinus infection, she heard the video I got on him coughing and he did it for her in the office. She agreed that it sounded like the whoop sound from whooping cough but since he doesn't do it for minutes at a time it was throwing her off.
She gave me a RX for antibiotics because he had an ear and sinus infection anyway and she said if it IS whooping cough then it is at the very beginning and the antibiotics should wipe that out too.