Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

I am exhausted
Anon_1560 posted:
Long story short: My uncle and his wife can not handle their own children. You tell the kids not to do something and they do it anyways because they can't retain directions (One of the biggest issues is that they don't listen, but really what it is... is that they don't retain information. They forget the direction you gave them ten seconds after you tell them... even if they repeat the direction they will forget). When we meet up with them somehow I feel like I am a babysitter to the kids from hell. Both times we met up with my uncles family his 4 kids always ask (and this is the first thing out of their mouths) "do you have any food?I want some". Now, I am unemployed and have very little money (we had free passes to all those places but had to use them by the end of the year). I pack enough snack for my own child and myself and indeed my uncle packed food for his kids. It does not stop them from doing choruses of "not fair" when I give my son some grapes that I brought and in one instance the youngest of his brood (5 yrs: I believe he has some diminished mental capacity and is possibly a sociopath) leaned back from the railing and squished my sons arm at a really bad angle when he was told that it wasn't his food and to go ask his dad, he could have broken my sons arm if I hadn't yelled at him. The parents were no where in sight and then the kid took off! My mom went to find him and I was left with the other three by myself.
I don't get paid to babysit the little demons (yes, they are that bad. They can destroy a whole house in 5 seconds flat and they will break every single toy my kid has in the process. And they don't listen when you reprimand them, my dog has better listening skills. I told them to get out of the dog pen and not leave the door open for the dog to get in the house over and over again and they STILL did it. I told them NOT to teach my son to hide in the hope chest and then were caught putting him in there! Where are the parents? no where to be seen).
We have had a lot of family drama with these particular members and I can't start another family argument so this is my only avenue to vent.
What would you do if you were in my shoes?
I am very nurturing and don't like to see hungry kids, but they are really rude coming up and saying "Do you have food? I want some" and I don't have money to buy food for their family, it's not my job. My mom is more indulgent of their food wants and gave them the whole bag of my sons grapes while I was in the bathroom. I brought it up later that I can't afford to hand out food to them and she got really defensive. Sorry, but fruit is expensive and what I can afford goes to my son and HIS nutritional needs.
As far as the babysitting.... I have voiced that I am not a free babysitter they can dump their kids on (to my mom) and she tries to minimize the situation, but that still doesn't stop her from accepting to babysit them and then requesting my help because they are to much for one person to handle. I can totally understand the parents wanting a break, but their kids are NOT a joy to have around and I don't think they should impose on family like that. Whoever babysits them should have a very high fee associated with that family.
It just makes me so angry because these issues annoy me to death and I can't say anything because I have to maintain family harmony. It also makes me mad because I have had to deal with both these issues a lot the last couple months in increasing frequency. I hope the holiday time is the peak.... I don't want to see them for the next six months.

Anon_1560 responded:
I would also like to note that in re-reading this I realize I totally sound like a grinch..... but no amount of words can describe these kids. The older three aren't "bad" but they have bad manners and are rude and don't listen.... the youngest: I am a teacher and I don't say this lightly but there is something "wrong" with that child and I don't mean that he is special ed or different in that way, although I do suspect something odd with cognitive function as well. I don't want him alone with my son, EVER. He is the type of kid who will push a baby in a pool just to make a clinical observation on how a person drowns, and he hides behind a mask of sweetness. I get a very dark vibe from him (which I have never had before with any other child in the thousands of kids I have taught being a sub and teacher). I have seen him when he is angry and If he were angry at ME I would be sleeping with a locked door. My mother sees the sweet mask he puts on and passes intentional hurts (like him landing and squishing on my sons arm) as accidents. I am not the only one to suspect something 'different' either, my brothers wife, my cousin, another aunt and uncle, and another cousin and his wife all sense it. Those of us with kids won't allow our kids alone with him (and hes 5!). And nothing can be proven in this case other than a confirmed poisoning: but their dog was poisoned with rat poison.
Some things can be seen at a young age, I have seen kids at the age of 5 and can tell that they will be gay (I saw one of them a couple years ago and he is an adult and sure enough.... gay), you can tell those who are special ed, and this is the first and hopefully the last time I will see a child that is just plain 'wrong'.
So... I am exhausted from the activity and dealing with these kids all week (which thanks mom...... she just said she would babysit them on new years and needs my help.... wonderful..... )
Thank you ladies for letting me vent![br>

hlvmom10 replied to Anon_1560's response:
wow. i am exhausted for you just reading about them. I have family that are like this too...and their parents think they do NOTHING WRONG.. I have to bite my tounge..and actually just quit going around them. Thank goodness they are always to "broke" to drive the hour to my house lol!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kim and my husband is Rick. We have one girl, Sydney Mira. She is 17 months old. We are happy to be blessed with this happy little girl! Sh...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.