Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

New stroller
orin34 posted:
Now that my son is 18 months I have gotten rid of the ginormous diaper bag with everything a mom might need in favor of a small version, I have been using this smaller version for a few months now. In addition to that I have also been looking at a different stroller option. The huge graco delux travel system stroller is great, but it takes up the whole back of our car and we pretty much just leave it in the garage unless we go somewhere that we need it...... several times I have forgotten the stroller completely and realized at my destination that I was strollerless. We also got a new puppy and the poor thing could get squished if I make a sharp enough turn if she is back there with the stroller. I have been interested in cheap umbrella strollers.... but I am 6'2" and these types of strollers are not for tall people.
This is the one I have just ordered: We will see how it works out. Does anyone else have this stroller?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Via-Lite-Lightweight-Stroller-Grey/11987901?ci_sku=11987901&ci_src=14110944&sourceid=1500000000000003260330

phoenix31674 responded:
I ended up getting the Keekaroo Karoo off Amazon. It's not exactly lightweight, but for me it had the key feature of working for a kid up to 50lbs since I have a 4 year old who outgrew the 35lb weight limit of most of the small umbrellas and full recline for an infant. Most folks who have had umbrellas do have problems finding one for someone over about 5'6". Before this one we had the Chicco Capri. Both of these work for my husband who is 6'1". I tried out a bunch of others at Babies R Us and at 5'7" the chicco was the only one I could use comfortably and feel confident DH could use as well. The Karoo was a total shot in the dark when I bought it. I got a better deal than what Amazon is selling it for now.

I would have gotten a new Capri when the footrest wore out on the first after 3 years, but DD was too heavy for it. The one downside of the Karoo other than the weight (17lbs), is that it is long when folded up. We have a Charger which is a large car and it can fit lengthwise in the very back of the trunk or diagonal. It only fits diagonal in our Mustang which is a narrower car.

orin34 replied to phoenix31674's response:
I just got it in the mail and my son LOVES it. This one also has the 50 lb limit (one of the reasons I liked it), it has nice tall handles for me, it is only 11 lbs, and it does recline. The only downside that I have found.... the seat isn't removable and there is no seat cover to help keep it decent since the seat doesn't remove. BUT, I can sew.... so whipping up a custom one is no problem at all. All in all it was a wonderful purchase.
I just don't want to end up like my SIL, she has five or six strollers. . . (Chicco, jogger single, jogger double, umbrella stroller, double umbrella stroller....). I think I will keep what I have (the one umbrella and the Graco) and MAYBE when I have another child and we are better off money wise I will get a city select (I REALLY want one)... but if we get the city select I would sell my Graco. Like I said, I don't want to have 6 strollers lying around. And I would like to have three kids... I only have one thus far so even if my son is beyond stroller age before we have another baby.... we might still need the double city select for baby 2 and baby 3 (I wanted kids closer together.... but it looks like 2 and 3 will have to be the "close" ones).

phoenix31674 replied to orin34's response:
We had 3.5 years between them, so DD was pretty much out of stroller, though for the times we figured she would need it, I would bring the Baby Bjorn with me for the little guy. Now she's closing on 5 and he's over 1, so she's not likely to get stroller time.

The no removable cover is the big downside to any umbrella. None of them have removable covers because it would require a frame to add weight. Glad you love your stroller. We have 2 - the Graco and the umbrella. We do a fair bit of public transportation first having been in DC and now over here in Germany, so the umbrella was great for that. Now that DS is older, I miss the tray you get on the Graco. That's the only reason I'm still using it as primary. Well, that and we can walk to the grocery, so I like the big basket. Otherwise I'd use the umbrella.

I live in southern california.... and this area isn't as big on public transit. I have never actually been on a public bus before and I have only been on the train once. lol.
The tray is definitely another downside! I didn't even think about that.... but we have had to live without a tray when we go to my moms house and use her jogger stroller, so it won't be that big of an adjustment. The cover thing is fixable for very little money and time invested... I am not one to waste money and while some people will just be happy to throw it out and buy a new one when it gets grungy ... I would rather spend a few minutes and some existing fabric and not waste my money.
My SIL does what you mentioned of putting her daughter in the bjorn and the older boy in the stroller.... but now the girl is one and a bit heavier than before and she tends to prefer the stroller... which makes things a bit dramatic if she only brought the single chicco. My nephew is 3 and a half and is still adjusting to being a big brother. I was horrified when I saw his behavior at their home, but my mom assured me that my brother did the same thing to me and that it was normal.
(He pushes her to the ground randomly, kicks her when she is trying to get up on the couch, smacks her in the face when he flings his blanket around... other stuff like this). Anyways, when there is only one stroller and he wants to take possesion of it.... he has tried to push it over with the baby inside. He is one of those kids that can be really sweet.... or really not. And lately the "not" has been a majority.

phoenix31674 replied to orin34's response:
My daughter 4.5 acts the same way towards my son 15 months. She's been testing boundaries and trying to see how much she can do to him and not get in trouble. I actually have her play in her room a good bit of the time when he is awake. Just easier to separate them because he has short attention span and pretty much wants whatever she has when she isn't trying to take things away from him. She has at least not pitched a fit over the stroller - which is good because he's too big for the carrier now. Of course, she does a lot of walking. We live around 0.5 mile from her school and she will jog to school most days. We tend to make her walk and one day I took her on a 5k up and down a sizeable hill and made her walk the whole way. LOL she was a real trooper.

They did end up sending him to his room eventually... I don't know if that is what it is like on an every day basis, he might have been "showing off" because he had an audience. You know, look at me I can beat up my sister and not get in trouble. . . .
He had a really hard time in the beginning when she first started going after toys because he doesn't share AT ALL and they had very little stuff that was just for my niece... most of it was recycled baby toys from when nephew was a baby... and he remembered that they were his at one point so he wouldn't let her play with them. . . and then she got some of her own toys and she couldn't play with those either. I am definitely wanting three kids and these sibling interactions are good for me to witness I guess... I can pick up a few pointers... or a few ideas of what NOT to do.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I live in Iowa with my wonderful husband and 1 year old daughter, Leah, who was born on 7/08/09. When my daughter was 6 months old, I decided to becom...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.