Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

MMR vaccine reaction
orin34 posted:
Has anyone else had their child react badly to the MMR Vaccine? My son had it done on the 9th... and he started breaking out in hives the last couple of days (REALLY bad hives, they are raised 1/4" off his skin, it looks like someone took a blowtorch to him)... started running a fever... has diarrhea... and threw up a few times.
I called the doctor and she said just to keep doing what I am doing (giving him benadryl for the hives and tylenol for the fever).... so it isn't so serious he needs to go to the hospital....... but still....... it was a little alarming.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Orin!

How is your sweet son doing?

While my daughter never experienced any side effects to vaccinations , here is a MMR Overview with risks and side effects.

Hope things are all back to normal. Please, keep us posted and take care of yourself and the fam.
Amelia

orin34 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for asking
He is good..... but different. He is REALLY whiney. The MMR has more "lasting" side effects (like the muscle/joint pain). The hives were present for three days on and off. It mostly occurred in the afternoon and evening. The fever was the same maybe about three or four days on and off... it got up to about 104. He still isn't 100%. He is acting like he does when he is sick,because of the clingyness and he actually sits down and watches TV with his head resting in my lap (he has never shown ANY interest in the TV before. EVER.) I am hoping he will be back to his normal charming self in another week or so.
We didn't end up taking him into the dr or the ER. We will have to keep an eye on him the next time he gets the MMR shot because the same thing will most likely happen again. We can only hope that it isn't more severe

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to orin34's response:
Hi Orin,

I'm glad to hear that he is good, but have you spoken with his pediatrician about these changes? Also, has he ever had an allergic reactions to anything (especially eggs, gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin)?

It is always good to have the doctor/nurses record this information in his records for future knowledge (in case there is an allergy). You also shouldn't have to stay worried about your LO, when your medical professional may have some ideas and insight to help you both feel better and find relief.

Please call them and let us know how you guys are doing.

Take care and have a great weekend!
Amelia

orin34 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
I did call the dr.... she said to just keep doing what I am doing. As far as the whineyness........ she says that what he is doing is age appropriate and it may be because he has recently learned to talk and impose "his will" on his environment so when he doesn't get his way, instead of throwing a tantrum like most almost two year olds... he just whines. And likewise his "cuddlyness" could just be a coincidence.... I have noticed him being more of a mama magnet BUT I have been using his daycare a lot more often these days because I have been getting more work.... so the dr thinks that it is just a reaction to being "separated" from me for extended periods of time. . . . so it looks like all is well and he is just growing up
I miss my little one already lol

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Tina. I'm a mommy to two little boys. Logan who's 4.5 and Cameron who's 20 months. I have been a WebMD member on/off since late...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.