Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Where did you have your LO?
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Home births seem to be on the rise , again. While they aren't for everyone, many mothers do go through a great deal of preparation to have their babies as safely as possible at home.
  1. Where did you plan to give birth to your LO?
  2. Where did you have your LO?
  3. Were you prepared? or Would you have done something differently?
  4. Was there a funny or intense moment that stuck out through it all?

Look forward to hearing your stories!
Amelia

orin34 responded:
1. Where did I plan to give birth? The hospital
2. Where did I have DS? Hospital
3. Was I prepared? done things differently? I would have insisted on my MIL not being allowed up on the floor more forcefully then I originally did. I have learned my lesson and I will be clear next time. I was totally prepared and had everything ready.
4. Funny moments? After going into labor at midnight I struggled with the contractions until 4AM at which time I came downstairs and told DH that is was time. He got up and grabbed the keys and ran out to the car in his underwear..lol
After a horrendous labor of intense contractions that did very little, I was finally ready to push.... I pushed once and he came down super fast, the nurse was holding his head IN and pushing him back so that the dr could get there in time. She told me not to push and not to BREATH which made me laugh... and then my son popped out.
The next part was a little scary, I almost hemorhaged.

hlvmom10 responded:
Where did I plan to give birth- Hospital
Where did I have DS - Hospital
Was I prepared- For the most part yes, I knew that I would want an epi but not right off of the bat. I wanted to experiance labor and when I got tired of it.. I requested it.
Was there a funny or intense moment that stuck out through it... Yes, people kept pushing my epi button while i was asleep, causing me to sleep to hard, shallow breathing ect DS hb started getting slower so the nurse shoved the button under my back. At the breaking point from 9-10cm..lol I remember saying "umm somthing is happening down there" ..and it was time to push, the best part..that comment was caught on tape I pushed twice with my mom and sister by my side and DH with the video camera, DS was born on July 6, 2010 at 4:14am. 8lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long

RoseLynn02 responded:
1. I looked into having a home birth, I really wanted a water birth, but I was too concerned about the safety considering the nearest hospital was 1/2hr away & it was an absolute no for DH. So we planned to go to the hospital, but had private at home Lamaze classes and a doula.
2. We had both DD's at the hospital.
3. Our 1st born came 3wks early, so no I wasn't ready with her. Our 2nd came 5wks early, but had tried to come 2wks earlier & my labor was stopped & I was put on bed rest & told she would probably come within 2wks & she did...so with her yes.
4. With our 1st born my water broke at 4:23am & I sat in the bathroom calmly calling my non-responsive husband until I finally said "hunny my water broke." He jumped up so fast it was ridiculous & then after all the Lamaze classes we took said "what does that mean?" I was like "are you serious?!" Anyway after he freaked out the whole way to the hospital It took 12 hrs to have our 1st born & our entire family & friends coming in & out of my delivery room while I'm attempting to have an all natural birth even though I had all back labor because although she was head down she faced my tummy instead of my back so her head pushed on my spine/nerves at every contraction. Finally I gave in & got an epidural & smiled at everyone who walked in while I laid there in nothing but a sheet.
With our 2nd DD I started having contractions & went to the hospital where my labor slowly progressed, but she was so early I didn't want to stay home. So I walked the hospital tell the told me to get back in bed, they broke my water & gave me pitocin (which makes labor more painful so I got an epidural at the same time). Finally it was time for her to come out & my SIL got there just in time for me to start pushing (this time she was the only one we invited or allowed to be there) & she had the audacity to ask if she could cut the cord! & my DH actually let her (which I have mostly come to terms with, but really? Who does that?).

mwhite80 responded:
Both of my children were born in the hospital and that is exactly what we wanted.
We were prepared for both births as in everything was ready room wise, cloths washed. I hadnt packed my hospital bag yet when my son was born and my friend was visiting me that weekend, i still had 10 days until my due date, most women were telling me that your first baby will be late. My hubby was also gone with army training, daddy would have still been gone if he would have been born on his due date. so i would have like dh to be there. But he was there when our daughter was born and nothing really went out of the ordinary with her birth itself
I remember when I got to the hospital to have my son and i learned i was too far along to get any drugs/epidural once the anistesiologist(sp) got there(my son was born on a sunday i guess he was on call). I said outloud "What no drugs?" i remember for my daughter's birth, being reay to push, 10 cm dialated and very uncomfortable and the nurses waiting for the doctor to get in the room. They told me to wait and i just started to cry but he was there a few seconds later and my baby girl came into the world

Number32012 responded:
1. The hospital
2. The hospital
3. I was prepared for the first child but very unprepared for the second. He was 2 weeks early.
4. My husband insisting on taking pictures of me while I was in mid-contraction. I almost punched him multiple times.

krazykatt707 responded:
1.Where did you plan to give birth to your LO? Hospital

2.Where did you have your LO? Had DD and DS at the same hospital.

3.Were you prepared? or Would you have done something differently? With DS, I def not prepared. He was 3 wks early. My water broke at 4am, just minutes after his dad got home from his overnight shift. Since he was my first, I figured I'd be overdue and hadn't packed a hospital bag! So we had to scramble to get a few essentials together. With DD, I was induced at 39 wks and had already had a couple of false labor trips to L&D so I was prepared.

4.Was there a funny or intense moment that stuck out through it all? With DS, I decided to pause and eat a bowl of cereal despite the face amniotic fluid was gushing out everywhere. Oh and his dad thought it would be funny to take pics of me in mid contraction. With DD, the whole thing was intense. I was induced with pitocin and gave birth with no epidural in about an hour. I went from 5 to 10 cm in 10 min so THAT was pretty intense.
Rachel(27), DH(28), Jon Roland(5), Kira Elizabeth(1)

blueeyebaby responded:
  1. Where did you plan to give birth to your LO? Hospital for both
  2. Where did you have your LO? same hospital for both kids
  3. Were you prepared? or Would you have done something differently? I was prepared for both. Was to be induced the monday after my due date (I was due on Sat. Jan 3) but went into labor late Saturday night. And I had a scheduled c-section for my daughter (although I was already in labor at the time so she wasn't going to wait any longer)
  4. Was there a funny or intense moment that stuck out through it all? With my son, we went in at 11pm with contractions 2 min apart. They had to do pitosin to strengthen them because I wasn't dialating past 3cm. My water broke at 4 am and I had an epi at 6:30am (wanted to be natural but I couldn't hold out). At 8:30 they took me in to have a c-section because Caleb wasn't having the excells on the monitor since I went in and they were getting weaker so for his safety we went with a section. I remember being so scared when he took a while to cry. Being on the table hearing the dr say "come on breathe" was so scary!! But he did with in a minute or so. He was born at 9:16 am Jan 4th, 9lb 6 oz, 21 1/2 inches long. He went into observation till about 1:30pm which was hard because I only got to rub his cheek before he left. My dh and some family went to see him but I missed his first feeding, bath, feet prints and screenings. But he was perfect with no issues. With my DD. we were scheduled for a section and everything went as planned. I hated the spinal (could feel everything!!) but she came out screaming. My DH looked at me when they were cleaning her and getting ready to weigh her and said "she has an afro" which made me laugh. She was born with inch long dark brown almost black hair that was sticking out everywhere.

kay_kay75 responded:
  1. Where did you plan to give birth to your LO? Hospital
  2. Where did you have your LO? Hospital
  3. Were you prepared? or Would you have done something differently? I was very prepared since I had a scheduled C-section, the only thing I would have done differently is ask for a different bed, since I was in the maternity ward they had me in one of the convertible beds for natural child birth, that may have been perfect for natural birth but after a C-section it was terrible, I had never swollen until after I had my daughter, then I couldn't get shoes on my feet at all even going home.
  4. Was there a funny or intense moment that stuck out through it all? Seeing her Dad in the garb to go to the operating room, the best Anesthesiologist ever and her first cry, I waited a lot of years for her so that cry was priceless

Allaya9 responded:
  1. Where did you plan to give birth to your LO? Hospital
  2. Where did you have your LO? Hospital
  3. Were you prepared? or Would you have done something differently? I was definitely ready for him to come since he was full term and I was so uncomfortable, but was unprepared for how much I would love someone that i'd never even met.
  4. Was there a funny or intense moment that stuck out through it all? My water had to be broken by the doctor and little man's head stopped up some of the flow of it so when I would push it would come gushing out. One big push sent out a big gush that soaked the nurse since she didn't jump back quick enough, I felt so bad but we all laughed about it later.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Katie, I have a beautiful son Kamdyn whose almost 18 months, his father and i are engaged, we live in NH. We are going through some really ...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.