Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

How do you juggle it?
orin34 posted:
I just did another post and it got me thinking.... how does everyone else juggle their family time with their schedules? I am finding this task very difficult and maybe someone out there does something different that I might like to try.
Monday-Friday: I work
Saturday: I usually get roped into some sort of family function (most often lately from in laws).... this is what I would really like to avoid because I would really like to have a "me" day.... or even a me day with DS, so long as I can do any activity I choose that I am not obligated to do for a certain amount of time.
Sunday: I go to my parents house and I help them out with various home projects that need to be done and they get time with DS and "babysit" him while I work.
As you can see.......... I have one "free day" (saturday) which is usually in high demand from various people. It is almost like I have no day off at all and that I am working 7 days a week.... that can be really tiring.
What does your work/family juggling look like?

hlvmom10 responded:
I know how you feel..sort of. I work 12hr days 3 on.. 3 off.. 4 on..4 off... so yes, I have more days off..but I work 12hrs. So by the time I get home from work at 7pm, we eat dinner ,DS gets a bath, and DS goes to bed. I take a shower, and go to bed. I only see DS 2hrs a day on days I work. On my days, off I try to catch up on various chores, laundry ect. But lately im so exhausted ( EDD 9-28-12) I feel like I can't keep up anymore..last night while turning the lights off going to bed.. I stepped on a Hot Wheels car..I started to cry..and laugh at the same time. Sometimes I feel like no matter how hard I try to keep things in order, it just crumbles, so last night i decided.. I don't care anymore. If my house is dusty, don't come over., If you dont like to see lunch's dishes in the sink..don't look at it. And as for people wanting you to attend functions, only allow your self 2 days a month for other peoples functions, and spend 2 days at home with your family, lately Friday nights have been our family bonding time. DS loves to play trucks and cars, so DH and I both get in the floor and play for...about an hour, then we eat dinner, and do bath..and go to bed.. It may not seem like much, but it works

orin34 replied to hlvmom10's response:
Are you a nurse? My mom had those shifts once upon a time.... she was a nurse back then. It was hard for her to see her kids so little so she stayed at home and took in babysitting jobs.

hlvmom10 replied to orin34's response:
No, I am not a nurse I work for the worlds largest retailers home office...hard work and alot of people that are just unhappy lol..It is hard sometimes, but it has it's benefits too.. like yesterday I decided to drive 5hrs to see my grandmother..and I don't have to be back to work untill Saturday Good break..she doesnt get to see DS very much and she is having a ball with him

orin34 replied to hlvmom10's response:
My mom actually preferred those hours for the same reason.... True, she only saw my brother for a couple hours three or four days a week, but she also got three or four days completely off that she spent with him during the week. My family is into helping one another so she has offered to watch my son while I work when she retires in a few months.... so hopefully when I pick him up I can visit for a while and then I can get away from the every sunday visit thing (maybe only once or twice a month).... that will free up one day a week at least. I am just hoping that when that day finally does become available that people aren't jumping all over me to "book me" for that day as well. I am really thankful that DH's dad lives out of state... so I don't have to juggle his "needs" as well.

hlvmom10 replied to orin34's response:
lol. I hear you about people taking up your free time. Just say NO . I do..people get over it. Im 8 weeks with LO right now and I have been saying no..alot lately.. DS is 20 months and keeping up with him, DH and his parents makes me tired. We live with his parents, they are old lol and need our help. His mom helps with DS but..she drives me up the wall.. Love her to death..but im ready for this stage of my life to be over lol...I want my own house..even if it's 10 feet away. Dang OLD people!!!!'

krazykatt707 responded:
My advice; just say no. You don't have to accept every invite and it's ok to take some time for you! It does not make you selfish. It makes you human Better yet, have the parents babysit so you and the hubby can have a date night! I have the tendency to stretch myself too thin sometimes too but you really need to focus on your own needs sometimes. Can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself first. And I feel alot less stressed when pass on things I don't really want to be involved in.
Rachel(27), DH(28), Jon Roland(5), Kira Elizabeth(1)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amanda(33), DH (37), DS - Zachary 10/3/08

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.