Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

1 year old not talking yet??
ChanelPatick posted:
Hi everyone

i'm pretty new to this but i need help or re-assurance

my daughter is 1 years and 2 months old and hasn't started talking no mama no papa nothing just a whole load of gibberish, is this normal

tchance55 responded:
Hi! I have a 16 month old who is the exact same way. No matter how much I repeat words he just laughs at me. I wouldn't worry because children work at their own pace. My mother told me I didn't talk either til I was 2 or so and I know a friend of mine whose son was the same way. He is now 7 and very smart. I believe she will talk when she is ready and I'm sure when she does she won't stop.

sarah0323 responded:
If you are worried I would see about Early Intervention. For us it is run through our school district. I know for some it is through the health department. This is a free screening that they will evaluate your child. Your pedi should be able to guide you.

I have 2 speech delayed boys. I waited until Cris was 4 before he ever said mama. Both of my boys have been in speech therapy for a long time now. We started by getting an EI evaluation. I had the baby evaluated at 10 months beacuse of past history. My baby is now saying more words than my almost 5YO.

Good Luck!!
Me (33), SO (33), DD1 (12YO), DS1 (7YO), DS2 (6 YO), DS3 (4YO), DD2 11/2010.

mwhite80 responded:
I think it sound perfectly normal. My daughter babbles all the time, it is just ramdon sounds, she does say dada. Is she your first? You just need to talk to her alot because she doesnt have a sibbling to chatter with.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am married to an incredible man, Dustin and we have a wonderful son Austin who was born in January 2009. I have been coming to the WebMD site since ...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.