Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Potty training
orin34 posted:
My son isn't two yet, he's about 20 months.... but his daycare teacher asked me if we were going to be working on potty training this summer. I had thought about it (it's warmer and he can go without a diaper without freezing his little behind off.....
He didn't used to mind diaper changes but these days he fights me tooth and nail..... he seems interested (he always wants to go with us in there and he does have a little potty that he plays with... he just won't sit on it, he is afraid). . . . She mentioned the potty training because of the things listed above and also he has started doing a new thing, if we ask him if he needs his diaper changed he will always say no (and shake his head), but these days he knows he has to go because he will shake his head and say no before he even has a dirty diaper.
My questions: Are these behaviors considered being "ready" ?
How do I get him used to sitting on his little potty? He arches his body away any time that I try to put him on it without his diaper on....
He is my first so this is completely new territory here.

KSHoh responded:
My son is 16 months and I can not wait for spring to start potty training. I have put my son on the potty a few times and what I found that helpd( you may only want to do this in the begining to get them used to it) we did some dipaer free evenings where he wears some big boy undies, sometimes I put the plastic ones on too sit him on his potty with a video and cheerios and tons and tons off water( they will go trust me) just to get used to the idea. Once the spring hits I plan on doing a diaper free weekend making sure my husband is home to offer assistance( have a buckent of soapy water on hand at all time because there will be lots of accidents at least on day one. After that I plan on using pulll ups or those huggies pull on diapers for naps, overnight and when we leave the house. From what I have been reading having them in diapers and pull ups while you are potty training will only make the process that much longer for them to get so be sure to buy tons of undies, a cheep basin for those messy stains and a soap bar for scrubbing. Good luck, he may do better than you think he will. also if you can get 2 -3 potties that is helpful also to make sure there is always one near by.

njohndeere24 replied to KSHoh's response:
How long did it take you to get him potty trained? I am about to start and he is my first so I'm really nervous.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi All! i cannot believe a year has past already! Here is the scoop on us....been with my husband 12 years..been married for 3 of them. We have two ma...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.