Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Advice for tube surgery on a 1 yr old?
krazykatt707 posted:
My DD has had 5 ear infections since Nov. We saw an ENT this week and with that, and the family history of ear/sinus problems, (my DH had tubes put in 3 times!) they want to give her tubes. Never been through this before. DS just had dental surgery last week! : ( So stressful to have both kids being in the OR within the same month. Any advice from those of you who have had this procedure done with your LO? Did it help? Were there any complications? Just really need some reassurance from people who've been there. : (
Rachel(27), DH(28), Jon Roland(5), Kira Elizabeth(1)

Take the Poll

Did drainage tubes decrease or prevent your LO's ear infections?
  • Yes- decreased the frequency/severity
  • Yes- prevented them completely
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

sdadkin responded:
My oldest (he is almost 3) had tubes put in about a week after his first birthday. The surgery itself kind of sucked. He woke up from surgery screaming. It took us almost a half hour to get him calmed down. They give you a prescription for some ear drops. It cost almost $100 for a teenie tiny bottle. Definitely make sure you ask for a sample at the hospital/surgery center. DS would scream and squirm whenever we tried to put the drops in his ear. We had to hold him down. It was awful! We only did it for a couple of nights and then we just stopped.

DS turns 3 in July. I think he has had two minor ear infections since the surgery.He always took zithromax with his ear infections and the last time it didn't work for him so we had to get amoxicilan. Other than that he hasn't had any problems with the tubes. The surgery has helped a lot! Good luck with your daughter!
Me (25) SO (25) DS (7/22/09) EDD (5/10/11)

EMB2006 responded:
My son had tubes put in back in January-he had 5 or 6 ear infections from April to December last year. Also had a un-decended testicle moved down at the same time so he had a rough day. The tubes part was the easiest-it takes about 15-20 minutes, if that long, then they'll make sure she wakes up from the anesthesia ok then they'll bring her back to the room they put you in before she goes back. My son was in surgery & recovery for two hours because of the other surgery. They also gave him Morphine for the pain of the second surgery-which they WON'T do for tubes-so he was extra sleepy & cranky. That whole evening he was in & out and very whiny but the next morning he acted like nothing had happened. He has had two ear infections since the tubes and has a slight infection now in one ear but it's under control. As a mom you worry about everything and even a simple, routine procedure scares you. My advice is have someone with you-husband, parent(s), whoever helps you through stressful times and you'll get through it. Just know she may be drowsy the rest of the day or she may not. It's normal for blood to be in her ear canal-I freaked when I saw it but my dad quickly calmed my fears and said it was ok. Trust me when I say this is the best thing for her since she's had so much trouble. Best of luck!
Me (25), DH (25), DS (1)-enjoying motherhood to the fullest!!!

krazykatt707 replied to EMB2006's response:
Thanks ladies for the encouragement and feedback. Makes me feel better to hear from other moms who have been through this before as opposed to just reading about it in a pamphlet. I figure its gotta be better than what she's going through right now. They have her on a daily antibiotic and when they looked in her ears, there is basically just fluid pooling in her middle ear that won't drain, just another infection waiting to happen. : ( The last time she had to have antibiotic shots to get rid of it b/c nothing else would work. She even ended up with bronchitis and a sinus infection on top of it! I remember holding her on the night she had another 103 degree fever and she was so listless and out of it. I promised her I would get her feeling better. So the next day I demanded the antibiotic shots and a referral to the ENT. (can you believe they were just gonna send me out the door with yet ANOTHER rx for antibiotics?! after 3 days of reoccurring 102-103 degree fevers?) I'm just so ready for her to be past this. And she has been such a trooper. I'm so proud of her.

Hey EMB2006, we were on the pregnancy boards together! I knew your name looked familiar and then I saw how old your son was.Glad to see some of my old pregnancy pals on this board! Glad your son is feeling better as well.

EMB2006 replied to krazykatt707's response:
That is crazy-can't believe they weren't going to refer you to an ENT then....hope she gets to feeling better!

Now that you mention it I remember seeing on the pregnancy boards too! Soon I'll be moving over to the 2 year old parenting board-can't believe he's almost 2...but anyway, good to hear from you again!
Me (26), DH (26), DS (1)-enjoying motherhood to the fullest!!!

My little one just turned one in Jan so it'll be a while for me. They grow so fast!

And I was shocked too.Sometimes you gotta push to get the care your kids need. She had her surgery today and everything went great! They told me that most kids are fussy when they come back from recovery but she was calm going to the OR and coming back. Didn't fuss at all! They said she has little ear canals and the middle ear on both sides was completely filled up with thick mucous that had the consistency of rubber cement! (I know, gross!) Poor girl. : ( I can't imagine how uncomfortable that had to have been to feel plugged up all the time. She was pretty sleepy when we got home and didn't eat very much but when she was up, she really energetic. I really hope the tubes help!

EMB2006 replied to krazykatt707's response:
I'm glad everything went well...you'll be amazed at how well she'll feel now that she can hear better! Hope things get better for you!
Me (26), DH (26), DS (1)-enjoying motherhood to the fullest!!!

She's already talking so much better and can parrot things really well now. She seems like she feels alot better and she was congested last week but did not get an ear infection from it this time. yay! : )

shoxy responded:
I realize you have already found a helpful solution but I just wanted to add, frequent earaches can be from allergies. Cows milk can be a big one. While tubes in the ears fixes the out-word signs their bodies are still dealing w/the allergy.

krazykatt707 replied to shoxy's response:
Yeah we suspect that too as allergies, esp seasonal ones, run rampant on both sides of the family. They put her on Zyrtec to help keep the sniffles at bay and so far that seems to be working. That and keeping the house really clean. We do have cats but they aren't allowed to go in her room.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Alicia (25) Benito (27) DS- Riley Chase 16 mos 23.5 lbs and 31 in!

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.