Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Potty training too early?
xaviersmamma posted:
My son is 12 months old and he has already showed a lot of the signs to start potty training. He holds himself when he is peeing and always sits down and grunts when he has a bowel movement and then he tries to take his pants down so that I can change his diaper. he follows me into the bathroom when I need to go, and he has been fighting me with changing his diaper. He never wants me to put a diaper back on him. My question is: Is my 12 month ready to be potty trained? I am teaching him sign language too.

sdadkin responded:
12 months sounds too early, but if your son is already showing some of the signs then why not give it a try? With our first DS (he's almost 3) potty training was farely easy. At first we got one of those potty seats but all he wanted to do was play with it. We found the best thing was to get one of those seats that goes on top of a real toilet seat (they are $10-15 at Walmart). The one with the handles is best so they wont be touching the toilet itself. We also got him a little step stool (found these at the Dollar Store and Big Lots for only $5).

DS1 was not ready til he was almost 2. They had been working with him a little bit at daycare also and that helped. We would just ask him about every 20-30 minutes if he needed to go pee-pee and would take him and put him on the seat. We did this until he would start telling us he needed to go. During the day we always put him in underwear and a pull up at night time. We gave him one M&M for going pee-pee and two for going poo-poo. He has been potty trained for about 8 months now and has very few accidents.

I would give it a try with your son and if he doesn't get the hang of it then back off for a few months and try again. It's something you can't force on them. When they're ready they will do it on their own! Good luck!
Me (25) SO (25) DS (7/22/09) EDD (5/10/11)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I are high school sweethearts and have been married since 2005. Our DS, Kayden Riley was born June 9, 2009. I love being a mom!! Hopefu...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.