Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

walking
72678 posted:
my little guy just turned 16 months and he is not walking on his own yet he does pull to a stand and cruise does ok walking holding my hand and with a walker he took a step on his own yesterday and half a step is morning but that was it my first who is now 5 walked late he was 15 months when he walked but the differnce between the two is when my older son took his first step the next day he walked across the living room ugh im just fustrated i just want him to walk and hope nothing is wrong with him

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Please take your son to the doctor - physical delays can be an indication of a variety of issues which might need treatment.

Many cities, school districts and states have free or very affordable early intervention programs that can help children and parents.

Haylen

krazykatt707 responded:
I agree with haylen. Its good to get him checked out just in case. Good luck!
Rachel(27), DH(28), Jon Roland(5), Kira Elizabeth(1)

72678 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
have called early intervention for him im waiting for them to tell me when they are coming

kay_kay75 responded:
Does he get carried a lot? Do you put things across the room from him that he wants? I know this sounds crazy but to get my daughter to start crawling and walking we would put her bottle/cup across the room from her so that she had to work to get to it, she didn't walk until she was 12 1/2 months old but we also walked with her, we started by having her hold our fingers and walking with us for a while, and then we switched to her holding just one hand, it is kind of a training situation and we actually started this when she was about 9 months old or so, then one day it just clicked.
But I have a step daughter that was carried for so long that she never crawled, She has always had issues walking and being super clumsy now, just a thought as to what might be going on.

Chelle_915 responded:
I would not be worried! My LO is just over 16 months old and just started walking on his own a couple of weeks ago. We had out 15 month well baby check up yesterday and I mentioned it to the doctor and she said the average age for a baby to start walking is around 15 months and they usually don't start worrying until about 18 months! I bet your LO will take off any day now!

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am married to the most wonderful man in the world. we got married valentines day feb.14, 2008. we have an incredible son together. hayden was born j...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.