Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Screaming
Nivens posted:
I have a 12 month old little girl and just in the last couple weeks has started screaming really loud. She does this when mad or happy or just to hear herself a store. It does by the end of the day start to stress me out. How should I deal with this? Should I correct her by saying we use our words or shhh? Or is this one of those behavoirs I should be completely ignoring?? This is my first child and I know it will pass but can I get it to go away faster??? lol

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hiya and welcome Nivens,

I hope you check in with us again.
Remember a baby at the age of 12 months and now 13 months, doesn't understand verbally a no, or shush or any kind of real discipline be it verbally or any other. They communicate through screaming and sounds and anything that gets your attention. If she's not hurt or sick, then her screaming is her way of getting your attention. Until they can talk and communicate on their own, you are at a real disadvantage of knowing what they want, but soon enough you will figure it all out. Best bet is to ignore it, if she's not hurt. It's really her way of communicating.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I live in beautiful British Columbia, Canada. I got married July 29, 2007 after 7 years together. Jarrod is 28, and I am 24. After 1 1/2 years of tryi...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.