Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

potty time
saramaher posted:
my baby is 11 months now. i put him everyday morning on the potty and he made it but the rest of the day i can't make it. i want to know its right to put him on the potty from now or not and also when he can understand it . he is my first baby so i am realy confused .
thanks alot

lenono97 responded:
Wow, your starting really early. Any particular reason? Most children don't start potty training until around 3 years old. However, each child is different and some will be earlier and some later. Personally, I think 11 months is a little too soon. I don't know how they would understand what to do or how to tell you. However, some people do sign language with your children. In that case, you will probably have to do some research on it. I am sure there are early potty training methods, again you will need to do some research. Personally, I feel it's better to wait until the child is ready and shows interest. It will go much smoother!

Olivetre responded:
Yes I think that is too early also. I didn't start my first DD until she was around 18 months as she was showing interest. I had a potty for her in the bathroom and when I would go she would come in and sit down on it. After she did this everytime for about a week then I started to take off her diaper then let her sit down. When she did go we clapped and danced but still clapped even if she didn't go. You will know when he is ready when he goes in his diaper and touches it, wants it off right away. It shows he is starting to understand he is wet.

If he goes to daycare you can also talk to his caregiver as they can watch for signs also. When I started the process I let mine know so she could take her to the potty during the day. It also helped that she was the youngest and there were a few that were going to the potty.

wmatto83 replied to Olivetre's response:
I have a 14 month old. And I was glad that Olivetre shared how she potty trained. I plan on starting the process in November when he is 18 months old. And I am totally stealing your idea. I love it. Thanks for the advice!
ME 29 DH 39 DS 1 Fury Sons both 5

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.