Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

13-month old banging head on wall
An_250996 posted:
Someone, please help! My 13-month old granddaughter (sorry, don't know what all the double letters people are using stand for) has been banging her head on the wall. We were aghast at this as we have never seen a baby do this before. We give her constant attention, therefore, I'm sure it's not for the attention. She has gone into the hallway & I followed her & she began banging her head on the wall. I held my hand against the wall so she wouldn't hurt it, but she continued to do it against my hand. My daughter said she has done this before and apparently the dr. isn't at all worried about it, however, as her grandmother, it's got me sick at heart. She has done it in the highchair but that's all padded. She hits it pretty hard on the wall and I'm wondering if she could have headaches or possibly earaches. Her ears have checked out ok, so that leaves us wondering about possible headaches. She doesn't do it when she seems angry, so what I read about that being a possible anger sign, I dismissed that because she shows her anger in a very typical normal way that is clearly her temper. So what gives with the head-banging on the wall. We've tried distracting her, of course, taken her away from the wall but she'll go back to the wall right after that & start again. We've told her "no, that will hurt your head; don't do that". Her year-old check-up put her in the 50% for her age group. She was born cescerian & for a while they were talking about having to possibly wear a helmet for the bones to come together just right, but after her one-yr. check-up, they weren't worried about it anymore. I don't want to be a but-in-ski grandma, but this really worries us. I guess she has done it at daycare too, but the kids don't say too much about it. Are we being paranoid about nothing? I would think it would hurt her to hit it like she does. Anyone have any ideas or answers?

hgreenwood7058 responded:
My son who will be one on the 31st of this month (i am lurking a few days early) does the same thing. He is not mad and does not seem upset or ill in any way at all. We believe its actually because he likes the sound that it makes on our walls. He doesn't do it in his high chair but if he is in the pack and play he will do something kind of similar in there but agains the little bag thing that is attached to hold diapers. I think in there he just likes the feel of the bag. My husband gets worried about him banging his head against the walls too. Usually its when he is playing on our bed and he will go up to the wall. He has a smile on his face so we know its not frustration. He throws temper tantrums and that type of thing like a normal infant/toddler as well. Carson was also born via c-section but there were no concerns about the bones growing appropriately. He has a big head but otherwise is completely healthy and normal. He doesn't say too many words but he excels when it comes to walking (started walking at 9 months) and high/low fives, throwing and/or kicking a ball, waving, etc... So i am not concerned about that. I would be more concerned if he was frustrated or upset and then banging the head because then it would show that is what they were using as an outlet. Growthwise other than the big head he is 50-70% in his height and weight so no concerns there either. We try to retrack him. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to get her something like the little kid type drums (I found one at walgreens that also has a tambarine and maracas in it) and maybe that would help to see if its because she likes the noise. Carson also plays with a few other musical sounding play toys (a little piano keyboard thing and a zylophone). Just an idea. Does she cry if she gets hurt? Like say gets a boo boo (scratch, cut etc..)? If she doesn't show upset or anger when she truely gets hurt that would be my only concern.

oboingo76 responded:
My daughter did this in her high chair from about 6 months old until about 10 months old. She didn't do it constantly but she'd do it from time to time. At first I would tell her no and she then started doing it to see my reaction. We joked around about it because when my husband was a baby (and this is known and often joked about within his family), he used to get angry and cry and bang his head on the floor and refridgerator. There are pictures of him with a knot on his forehead from doing it. Doctors overall are not concerned about this and say they won't REALLY hurt themselves, even though it looks like it. They're doing this either because they're curious about the feel/sound or they want a reaction out of their family.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 39 yr old mother of two biological children...a son, 20 and a daughter 17. I have two step children, a boy 13, and a girl 10. We are also raisi...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.