Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Nap recommendations........
An_250877 posted:
What are the current nap recommendations for a 1 yo? My friend told me that even if the 1yo wakes at 8AM to give them a 1 1/2hr nap around 11AM, then a 30min nap around 4-5PM. This doesn't seem right. I wonder if she thinks doing this will help the 1yo sleep through the night.

Anon_3162 responded:
I have two daughters and have had them in two different daycare centers. Both centers between 13-15 months begin switching the kids from 2 naps (1 morning and 1 afternoon) to just an afternoon nap. My girls (4 yr and 17 months) both get a nap right after lunch for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours at their current daycare. We continue this on the weekends. The only time they get extra nap time is if they are battling a cold. The first few days/week of switching a 1 year old from 2 naps to 1 nap can be hard on them and make for a long evening...my daughter was grumpy and would want to be held/rocked in the evening before bed. Hope this helps!

An_250877 replied to Anon_3162's response:
Thank you! That is very helpful.

lenono97 responded:
It depends on the kid. Does he seem tired at 11am? You may need to watch him for cues. When he starts rubbing his eyes or gettting crabby, it's probably time for a nap. You should then see a pattern develop over the week. My son transitioned from 2 naps a day to one nap around 15months. We don't use day care so we were able to do it on his schedule and it was an easy transition. He is now 20 months old and takes a two hour nap after lunch every day.

momagain2011 replied to lenono97's response:
I agree, it depends on the kid. My son will be 20months on the 18th of this month. He wakes up between 630 - 730 am. He gets tired and cranky around 10:30 am and tells you night night. He also will take an hour nap in the late afternoon. Somedays he wants both naos somedays none. He goes to bed around 830pm and sleeps all night. Neither of my older girls where this way.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Mommy to Charlie born 11/4/08. 24 years old. Going back and forth between southern Illinois(STL area) and West Michigan. BFP 3/23 EDD is 11/18/10! Sti...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.