Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

15 Month Old Limited Talking
oboingo76 posted:
My daughter is 15 months old but doesn't have her Dr's appt for another week. She is very interactive, but she doesn't say many words. I worry because when she was 9 months old she would always say "Da-deeee" and she would say it when her daddy was in the room. When she was 11 months old she would say "light" while pointing at lights in the house and "outside" while pointing outside. She has said "mama" and "dada/daddy" appropriately. She says "uh oh" when she drops something and she has said "hi" in appropriate situations as well. However, she seems to take on these words for a week or two then stops using them. She stopped using words for about a month and is now saying "uh oh" a lot and recently used "outside" appropriately 3 times (over the past week).

She understands what we say. She follows instructions such as "let's put your clothes in the hamper" (she'll put them in the hamper), "let's get ready for our bath" (she'll go in the bathroom and stand by the tub), "let's go get our bib" (she'll go to the drawer where I get her bibs, I hand it to her and she puts it around her neck and waits for me to fasten it) and "let's go eat breakfast" (she goes to her high chair). She follows instructions when we ask her to go get her books or put them away and several other things. So I know she understands us. She just doesn't communicate much to us using real words.

She points and makes question sounds when she wants something or is inquiring about something (sort of like "hmmm?"). She still uses baby talk type of words and sounds to chatter a lot. I am going to talk to the doctor but should I be worried about her lack of consistent words?

lenono97 responded:
Your daughter sounds just like my son! He is 22 months now. At his 18 month appointment his pedi suggested we have him evaluated by early intervention so we did. The results showed one area that would have qualifed him for speech therapy. But he only qualified by one point so we decided to not do any speech therapy at this time. If he still has limited words when he turns two, we will initiate speech thearpy then. The speech therapist who evaluated him was totally comfortable with this plan. He understands every thing we ask him to do. He tends to use words a few times then won't. My daughter is 4 1/2. It seems like I can't remember a time she didn't talk! I try not to compare them but it's hard. I talk directly to him as often as possible and try to encourage words. I know he will get there it's just going to be a slow process. Good luck!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I would not be too concerned. The more you use the words the more she will pick up and keep them but your daughter is using a ton more words than my son who is 14 months old. Carson says dad and every version of it, mom and every version of it, bub (thats what we call him), he sometimes says hi as well but not often. Some just take longer to consistently say words. He is very smart though. He started crawling and walking early, he follows requests, he high fives and low fives, he runs, he shoots hoops, he can now point to his head and ears and nose, and mouth and toungue, he can boogy (shakes his little butt), gooby shuffle as we call it (he looks like a little tap dancer), shows us his muscles,waves hi and by, points out everything, etc... the list goes on. So while he is not using many words (and just got his 5th tooth last weekend),he is excelling at other things. Some kiddos take as long as 2 or 3 before really picking up words and a lot of kiddos have a word explosion between 15-24 months where they don't use much and all the sudden say a lot.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Sarah. I live in Surprise, Arizona. My husband and I have been married for 2 years and have a beautiful baby girl Stella.

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.