Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Large Lymph Node on Back of Head!
Anon_169050 posted:
Have any of you mothers had a child or heard of another child having an enlarged lymph node on the back of the head? My son has one and it has been there since he was born. The Pediatrician and Family Physician said it is fine as long as it doesn't get larger, and that he will have it for the rest of his life. I can't help but be paranoid because my first cousin was diagnosed with Leukemia at 3 years old, went into remission for it to come back when he was 20 and he passed away when he was 21 years old. The docs just make it sound so common, but my husband is a barber and he cuts a lot of hair and he's never seen it on others before.

oboingo76 responded:
Often times they can tell by how the lymph node presents. I have one on my neck that terrified me. It showed up this last winter (while my family and I were sick 7 times with colds). I had two surgeons look at it. Unfortunately the first round of doctors were horrible and wanted to remove it and didn't explain ANYTHING to me. They were looking for symptoms of non-hodgkins lymphoma. The second round of doctors ( who have a much better reputation in our area) told me that it's presenting soft and mobile. The surgeon explained to me that many times once a lymph node becomes enlarged (a lot of times this happens when you've been sick a lot or had infections) it can stay that way and fluxuate in size. He told me he'd removed 80 lymph nodes that presented just like mine with no other symptoms and every time they were benign. He said most of the time it's at the request of the patient. If your doctors aren't explaining why the lymph node may be enlarged, what other symptoms to look for (other than it changing in size) or what may have caused it you might want to look for new doctors. A huge pet peeve of mine is physician's who don't think we have the right to have things explained to us!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jen and I have 3 children; Eryk who is 12, Taylor who is 8, and Jordan who is 14 months! I work full time out of the home in a clinical lab...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.