Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

13 month old twins biting
FrenchBulldogMom posted:
I'm having a serious problem with my twins. They have been biting each other all the time, really hard. If one tries to swipe a toy, the other one gets even! I've been trying to catch them in the act, so I can say " NO!", but does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

earleyml1012 responded:
So sorry you are going through biting issues! My DD was kicked out of a daycare for biting, so I research everything on the topic. The best advice I found was a book called "No Biting: Policy and Practice for Toddler Programs, Second Edition" by Gretchen Kinnell. This book is aimed more towards daycares but I found the techniques work at home as well. My DD was actually biting more at daycare than at home, so after switching centers the problem kind of went away on it's own.

Do you have lots of similar toys so that they aren't fighting over them? Also encourage them to share, we practiced this with our kids. Sounds funny but I think having DD understand the concept of sharing helped. Another thing is to keep them busy. I think that's the difference in the daycares. DD was bored at the other one and is busy all the time now, so less time to get herself into trouble.

Good luck! I know it can be frustrating but they will outgrow it.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I wish I had advice. My son is into the biting phase as well. I did read though that, this is the way they show their frustrations or communicate if they are not using words to express it yet and that it will get better as they better learn to communicate.But my son is the same way and bites anything and everything (me, couch, friends, anything he can fit his little lips/teeth on-most of the time he is not even truely frustrated but he did this more because he was bored).

oboingo76 replied to earleyml1012's response:
earleyml1012 - If your daycare center kicked your child out for biting - it was a blessing in disguise because you needed a better daycare provider.

My daughter is now 21 months old and bit from about 12 months to 19 months. Sometimes she'd bite 3 or 4 people in one day and sometimes she'd go days without biting anyone, but she was a biter. First off, her daycare center is set up like a school. Infants (up to 15 months) in one room, then to another room for toddlers, then rompers, then preschool, etc. As soon as you go in for a tour (most of the time still pregnant), they tell you that many children bite and it's a completely typical reaction as they are struggling to communicate their needs. They have written documentation they pass out as you register that talks about how they handle biting and that they will not throw children out for biting.

A qualified daycare provider should be prepared to handle this, so it's good you got out of where you were. They were clearly not qualified to care for small children.

My daughter eventually quit biting as she moved into a room with children that were a couple months older than her and has hit a spurt with her speaking skills. She now verbally expresses her frustration rather than biting. A lot of it is a herd mentality as well... she was bitten before she ever bit anyone, but I would never blame it on someone else or their children. It's just natural and while unpleasant, eventually stops if it's continuously discouraged.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Jill (33), DH (36), and Sarah Elizabeth born 9/22/08 my 17 month, strong willed, spitfire of a baby girl! I adore her.

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.