Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

little girl hairstyles
tamliz08 posted:
Those of you with girls, what do you do with their hair? I decided I was not going to do bangs on Leah, but her hair is usually hanging in her eyes. She doesn't like me to mess with her hair a lot either, so clips and pony tails are a struggle. I've been trying to pin her bangs back.

I'm just curious what you all do? My DD looks like a little rag-a-muffin lately.

MummaMumma responded:
Well, my LO's hair is still coming in (she a blondie-and I mean BLONDE-white blonde). So she really doesn't need her hair styled yet. I can't even get clips in her hair yet. Oh well, sigh.

If she's really fighting you about putting clips in it, I'd reconsider the bangs maybe for just a little while.

When my LO gets hair finally, I don't care if she likes it or not-she's getting pigtails and clippies and all that fun stuff I've been waiting to do for a year and a half

SarahMcMama responded:
My LO hair is getting pretty long, and we're dealing with the same issue - I don't want to cut bangs, but she's not so good with clips and barettes. However, we're continuing to pull her bangs off to the side with a bow everyday, and although she usually pulls it out about 10x per day, it looks cute and it does the job while it's in! Hopefully she'll learn to get used to it, over the next month or two ... but yes, my LO looks like a rag-a-muffin too without it!

PS. I'm about to post a link to our holiday pics in another post, so you can see what we're doing ...

tamliz08 responded:
Thanks ladies!

Sarah - that's what we have been doing with the bow/clip. It seems to work ok. I'll probably just keep doing that because I really don't want to do bangs!! It's almost long enough to go behind her ears, so I'll just use the clips until then.

alliegirl77 responded:
Sarah's hair is really coming in now and it is very blonde like PP said. Love that. We took her for her first hair cut around her 1 year b-day and her hair is super cute. It looks a lot like a thinner version of Dorothy Hammel's hair. (gymnast from the 80's young ones...lol! ) I love it and I put it in piggy tails, pull back the top in a barrett and let her bangs fall down on her forehead. I can do quite a few things with the hairstyle even though it's shorter still.

There are days where we fight about hair when she doesn't want me messing but most days I do it while she is eating b-fast in her high chair and she usually doesn't care. She is focussed on her breakfast.

linzuh04 responded:
With DD, we cut her bangs to be long and to the side....not straight across....

www.facebook.com/#/photo.php?pid=3311880&id=727106754

tamliz08 responded:
that's really cute too! That's how Leah's hair hangs naturally, so that might work. I guess I was thinking that little girl bangs had to be the typical straight across...

KC_94920 responded:
I have not had to cut bangs with either girl and despite having very different hair types, I've been successful with the same basic style for both. I do a part on one side and pull a small amount over and secure it with a clip or a pony tail holder. DD1's hair was/is thicker and stick straight so as it grew I had to use the small elastic bands and then decorate with a bow. About the time she hit 18 months I could easily do two piggy tails.

DD2 has thinner hair that is super curly so despite the fact that it grows at an amazing rate it isn't nearly as long as her sisters was at 20 months. I just use decorative clips to pull back the front section and call it a day. I always look great and she actually doesn't mind the clip at all. We've been using clips since she was about 10 months old and she hates having hair in her eyes. I found some really terrific clips (that have flowers and bows attached) that have a non-slip grip material inside the alligator clip and they makes doing her hair even easier. I ordered them from a company called Custom Clippies, I think.

smatusiak responded:
We have a little rag-a-muffin right now too Kayla's hair is curly and fine so it's almost always a little out of control. I used to put two pigtails or barettes in them around her first birthday, but about a month or so after, she started pulling them out so we just went natural. On Saturday I tried a ponytail and she didn't mess with it so we might go back to that. She's never had a hair cut and the front of her hair is getting a little long and sometimes in her eyes so I was just saying to DH that it might be time for a hair cut. For now we just comb it to the side, although she doesn't seem to like the comb much lately either.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Jill (33), DH (36), and Sarah Elizabeth born 9/22/08 my 17 month, strong willed, spitfire of a baby girl! I adore her.

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.