Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

16 mo old Eye Swollen Shut
clcowart posted:
I woke my daughter up two mornings ago and her left eye was swollen shut. I took her to see her ped. and they said it's just allergies and that it should go away. It isn't as red as it was yesterday however, it is still swollen shut after using an allergy eye drop. Has anyone see this before?

NewCarr1 responded:
Go for a second opinion. Our LO had a horribly swollen and red eye (the skin was red, not the actual eye BALL)... and it was an infection that he needed antibiotics for. Eye problems should never be brushed off. If it's an infection, it can have lasting results if it gets bad enough. you can also try polysporin eye drops... thats what the ER doc told us to use... but then our pedi gave him an antibiotic. Hope your LO is better soon... :(

FarmWife1979 responded:
DD also had one eye swell shut like that. It swelled shut while she was eating dinner one night - but it was all stuff she had eaten before with no problems so we ruled out allergy. The pedi saw her the next day and said it could be some kind of infection and also gave us an antibiotic. It took a couple days to fully go down, but we took the full course of antibiotics like we always do. Since then it has not reoccured, so I agree with the infection idea.

DidiToo responded:
I remember my mom saying that this happened to my brother when he was young - turned out to be a spider bite! I agree with the pp's about getting a second opinion to rule out an infection if it does not improve, though.

proudmom0331 responded:
This has happened with my LO but it was both eyes. It turned out to be allergies and went away as soon as she got on Zyrtek. But if its just one eye I dont think it sounds like allergies. I am not a dr, but I also agree and would get a second opinion.

sarahgrl responded:
I totally agree with the pp's and thing you should get a second opinion. They should never ever EVER brush off eye problems, Kinsey has eye drops that her pedi gave us unlimited refills on because she didn't want us to say "well, it'll go away she probably doesn't need to see the doctor" and not have any medicine around. (she's had pink eye 3 or 4 times because all the old ladies in my dads church keep giving it to her) with the first round of pink eye she woke up one morning with her right eye swollen shut, it was also pink and a little crusty so we got antibiotics and then she went to the eye doctor a few days later for another problem and he gave her drops which helped clear it up in like one day.

meaghenfriel responded:
I have had this happen to me since I was a kid. I have sensitive skin and some allergies to grass and pollen and whatnot. Maybe once a year now, though it was way more often when I was a kid, I'll wake up with my eye swollen closed. Sometimes it's one or the other sometimes both are affected. A benadryl or claritin will usually take it down by the end of the day. It's really more horrifying to look at since you look like Quasimodo than painful. Sometimes it happens if I use a new skin product or lotion, but sometimes it seems to happen for no particular reason, though I must have gotten into a trigger at some point in the day, like touching the grass and then rubbing my eyelid. It's a little uncomfortable and itchy but other than that no biggy. You may want to try and remember whether you put anything new on her skin or if she got into anything that she could have rubbed on her eyelid. But if not, it's OK. It's just one of those things. HTH :lightsmile:

meaghenfriel responded:
I should also mention in my case that the eyeball is clear. If the eyeball is red or inflamed that could be pinkeye or infection, but if it's clear then it's probably allergies like the Dr. said.

NewCarr1 responded:
I just wanted to comment again on the post above mine.... about if the eye ball isn't pink... My LO's eye ball was NOT pink, just the skin and lids were red, and he had a VERY bad infection, so even if the eye ball isn't pink, it can still be infected.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me 30, DH 33 DD birthday 03/18/10. IUI to conceive and worked on the first time! Will be trying to conceive again 2012. Not sure if we'll need the...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.