Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

9 month old and pregnant
Mississippi_Mom posted:
I just found out I was pregnant yesterday. My daughter turned 9 months old a week ago. Obviously this was not planned but God knows what He's doing. Still, I can't help but have lots of concerns, from worries about a healthy pregnancy, to how to help my daughter adjust when she is not the only child our lives revolve around. I would love to hear some encouragement from other women who raised kids 17 months apart or less! I am kind of freaking out!

Kimmy23235 responded:
Right before my son turned a year I found out I was pregnant. Here I sit at 38 weeks waiting for the arrival of his sister. I am just now starting to freak out slightly because they will be 19 months apart but I know it will all work out. I just wanted you to know you are not alone. There are a couple people on this board that had there 2nd baby not too long ago that is in a similar situation.

jlcohen78 responded:
Congrats! My LO's are 15 months apart. DS is 22 months old and DD is 7 months. I personally don't think it's that bad. Busy and chaotic at times but fun. DS was too little to actually understand us telling him he was going to be a big brother. There was never any jealousy. And to be honest, he really didn't even notice her until she was a month old. Now he absolutely adores her. I've always encouraged him to help with diaper changes by bringing me the diapers and wipes. He brings her toys to play with and many times will sit next to her and play. I am breastfeeding so in the beginning I would use that time to read him a story or play quietly with him on the floor. I highly recommend getting a wrap or carrier of some sort. I have a Moby wrap that I use almost daily and it has been a life saver --- especially in the beginning. Really, you just have to be prepared to live with chaos at times. There will be times when you have 2 cranky babies that you are dealing with so you just have to evaluate whose needs are greater. Anyway, that's about it in a nutshell. Congrats on the new bean!

Mississippi_Mom responded:
Thanks so much for the advice! From what I've heard it does sound like it's easier on the first when you have the second really close behind rather than waiting until they are 2 or 3. We have always said we wanted our kids close, although we were thinking more like 2 years apart. i know we will be fine. It's just still such a shock. It took us over a year to get pg with DD. I wasn't ovulating on my own so we were on Clomid and then I had to take shots to help me ovulate. Then we had a laparoscopy done and found I was born with only 1 ovary and 1 fallopian tube. We got pg the next month. So I really did not think I would even be able to get pg on my own without those shots to make me ovulate! I bf'd DD until she was 7 months and only had one period after I stopped and now I'm pg again! I was just getting ready to pack up my maternity clothes from my guest room closet - not anymore! It is just crazy that I am back to worrying about miscarriage or something going wrong with the pregnancy, not to mention trying to hide it from everyone. I just don't know how long we'll be able to keep it a secret. I don't have the energy.

Super_Trooper responded:
I found out I was pg when ds1 was 4 months old. they are a year apart. Everything is going to be ok. you will have a pretty.... hefty adjustment period wrangling them. but soon you'll get the hang of it.

sugarhi responded:
My brother and I are 18 months apart so my mom was in your position too! Actually, it worked out well because according to my mom, I always wanted to help out with my baby brother and could spend time entertaining him while my mom did housework. In fact, he began talking at around 1 year old and could recite nursery rhymes independently at 18 months old which my mom attributes to me talking to him all the time. I think it might be harder in the beginning but easier in the end! Best of luck!

KayaNKeely responded:
congrats! My daughter is 14 months and I am 34 weeks pregnant. We are having another girl, and I hear from a lot of people that they will grow up best friends and that it will be easier in the long run. I was scared to death at first, I cried all the time because this second one wasn't planned. Now I am starting to get excited (better late then never lol) even though I still feel overwhelmed at times. I have a good cry once a week and my hubby is very understanding and he is excited to have a new baby in the house. So my girls will be about 15 months apart, you just have to have faith that you can do it, God wouldn't give you what you can't handle :grin: I don't know about you, but this is my last baby, so my hubby always reminds me to try and enjoy whats left instead of be sad, because one day I will want to be pregnant again!

megbrubaker responded:
I am not in your boat by my husband wanted to start trying when DS was 9 months old, the thought freaked me out, But once he mentioned it I thought to myself it wouldnt be that bad. I asked for some opinions and I had someone tell me her and her sister was 11 months apart and they grew up being the best of friends and still are!! So that mad me feel so much better. But I have a friend who is in your situation she found out at when he DS was 9.5 months old that she was preggo again and was so scared/happy/freaking out at the same time. But she is doign wonderful and loves the idea of them being so close in age. She is having a girl and is happy that she has got her son and daughter and has decided that will be it for her!!! Congrats on the LO and I will probably be joining the preggo club again soon!!!! I want another one!!!

TanyaJP responded:
i'm not in your situation yet...but i was pregnant at the beginning of the year (unfortunately had a m/c though) and my lo was only 1 year old when i found out (actually not quite 1 yet). we were trying, though. dh decided he wanted another one (big shock to me) and i got on board but was scared out of my mind...lol. now we are still wanting another but he'll be around 2 years old or a little older once we have another one which i think its perfect. funny thing is, if i get ku this cycle, the new baby's edd would be 1/9/10 which is ds's birthday (well...1/9/08). i would love to ku again and i do know that that is just an estimate but i'm not sure i want their bdays so close together. i'm kind of hoping i don't get pregnant this cycle only because of that but if i did, i would be thrilled.

k9boxer27 responded:
Everything is going to be okay. I am in the same boat. My daughter was 8 mo old when I found out I was prego. SURPRISE!!!!! You will be in shock for several months, but just think how great it will be to have your kids close together. Everything will work out don't stress just enjoy it.

Channell07 responded:
My DS was 7 months old when I found out I was pregnant this time around. I am really excited to be having them close together because pretty much everyone I talk to that has LOs close together or has a sibling that is close in age tell me that they were the best of friends. Dh and I were both only children so that is what we want for them. They will be right around 16 months apart and I have also been told that it can be difficult but lots of fun...

KSAB091303 responded:
DD#3 was a little over 7 months when I found out I was pregnant with #4. I was in absolute shock for about 4 months, and wasn't so sure about myself. The babies are a little over 14 months a part and while it is interesting some times, it has been a lot of fun. I am not going to lie to you the first few months were rather difficult (especially trying to bf DS), but after that it has been one adventure after another. DD#3 loves her brother, though she gets jealous every once and awhile. She likes to give him kisses and hugs, and tries to help him walk (which is kind of funny to watch). It will take a little bit to stop freaking out. In fact, I don't think I stopped until he came, though finding out I was having a boy kind of helped that too.

militarymamaof4 responded:
Wow! Congrats!! I found out I was preg with DD #4 on the day DD #3 turned 4 months old. They are 12m & 1 day apart (6/23/06 & 6/25/07). There is 22m bet. DD #2 & DD #3. I would have them as close as 3 & 4 all over again if I could. Yea, it is hard in the beginning, but they are so close now & they don't give me much trouble at all. It is overwhelming, but you just need to figure out what works for you & go from there. It can be done!! :grin:

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Katie, I have a beautiful son Kamdyn whose almost 18 months, his father and i are engaged, we live in NH. We are going through some really ...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.