Skip to content
Matted eyes
gmama07 posted:
This am my DD woke up and both eyes were crusty and somewhat matted together. She had thick green eye buggers, not to mention her nose was all stuffed up. She was coughing a bit but not enough to worry me or distress her. Should I just give it a few days with claritan/benadryl to clear up a cold, or should I be worried about her green eyes? One did seem swollen a bit. Any advice!?

curleysue1968 responded:
sounds like it could be pink eye. I would call the pedi.

cinder44 responded:
I agree. It sounds like pink eye & she needs to go to the dr.

Stephensmom1214 responded:
Sounds like Pink Eye for sure. We are just getting over this in our house, too. We've been giving DS eye drops 3 times a day.

HayleesMom2007 responded:
You may want to go get it checked just in case, but there is a possibility that it isn't pink eye. When my DD gets congested her eyes get goopy. Before she had her tubes and we were dealing with the really bad stubborn ear infections her eyes would get really bad to the point that it could have been mistaken for pink eye. It was thick green goop that would just continually come out of her eye and almost every morning her eyes were practically sealed shut. You are probably going to want to see the dr regardless, weather it be pink eye, possibily an ear infection or allergies they may want to put her on something. Good luck to you!!

EmilyandLindsaysMom replied to HayleesMom2007's response:
Lurking - but my experience is similar to HayleesMom2007. Although it might be pink eye, BOTH of my girls get goopy eyes when they get congested. My 5 YO just had it this week. The first time one of them had it, I called the pedi and the pedi said that a cold can settle/back up into the eyes and cause that goopiness. This is the case with both of my girls.

Good luck. Hope she is feeling better soon.

mindy48875 responded:
My experience is also similar to the other posters. When my DS has had the crusty eyes and the "eye boogers" it was always do to an ear infection and not pink eye. It was due to his ears not being able to drain properly so it would start to drain out the eyes or nose. But you defintiley do want to get it checked out

abbygailsmom1 responded:
I agree with the most previous posts. When either of my girls get a cold, their eyes run with green goopy boogers. Unless the actual white of her eyes are pink, then it is probably just a cold. Be aware that if she goes to daycare they will probably send her home unless you have a dr note saying that it is not pink eye. This has happened to me many times.

gmama07 responded:
Thanks for your advice everyone! My daycare is great and they say they know pink eye at one glance, they haven't said a word yet about thinking thats it. She is congested and thats probably it. I will call the pedi in the am. I work nights and tonight is my last one for a couple days so I can def miss some sleep tomorrow to get her in. It was a bit better this am, less matted. Her white part of her eye isn't pink at all, so I didn't feel bad sending her to daycare. I have been giving the claritan though. I bet she does have some allergies, she always seems to have a runny nose, especially in the spring/fall. Thanks again!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have belonged to Webmd boards for about 5-7 yrs now. I believe everyone has their own unique point of view and even if I dont always agree with peop...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.