Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OT Hard boiled egg??
cinder44 posted:
We have some eggs that I hard boiled the week before Easter & the date on the package for the eggs is May 2nd. Are the eggs still ok to make deviled eggs with or should I just toss them? They've been hanging around b/c we were sick over Easter & haven't had time to make them. (where's the embarrassed icon)

abbygailsmom1 responded:
Did you get them in the fridge within a few hours of making them? If you did, I would say they would be fine to make deviled eggs. If not, I would toss them just to be safe.

I used mine that we colored as a table decoration. We threw them out later.

curleysue1968 responded:
In situations like that I or DH would eat them but I wouldn't take the chance of getting the kids sick. I agree with the refrig part from PP.

cinder44 replied to curleysue1968's response:
they were not used as decorations & were put in the fridge right away.

HayleesMom2007 responded:
I was actually wondering this very same thing this morning considering I still have a whole dozen in my fridge. They were boiled and put right into the fridge so I was pretty sure they were OK but that is going to 2 weeks now. I had a horrible case of food poisoning over Easter from bad fish on Good Friday so I am a little more timid with food now. I could really go for some egg salad thou.

steckie98 responded:
If the expiration is May 2nd and they have been refrigerated the whole time, there isn't a reason they wouldn't be still fresh.

sarah0323 responded:
lurking...Hard boiled eggs should be consumed within 1 week of boiling. Personally I would trash them.

While salmonella is destroyed in properly prepared hard-cooked eggs, after cooking, spoilage can occur more quickly than in fresh shell eggs. Cool hard-cooked eggs quickly after cooking, refrigerate them in their shells promptly after cooling, and use them within one week.
Source: America Egg Board

cinder44 replied to sarah0323's response:
Thanks Sarah! I had my doubts & wasn't sure but now I'm dumping them.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a mommy to three beautiful kids...Haley is 11, Jordan is 7 & Brooklyn is 1.

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.