Skip to content
Allergy Testing for my 2year old
RJDsMomma posted:
My son has had a skin rash going on 3weeks now, he has seen the doctor twice now. They have told me both times that it is a viral rash and it just has to run its course. But I am really worried there is something more going on. A lot of people have told me that I should have him tested for allergies. But not sure how allergy testing is done, especially for a toddler. If anyone could give me some feedback on this, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks!!

seeit2 responded:
Lurking...the allergist will probably do a skin test there in the office. They use plastic little pokers with a serum containing proteins from suspected allergens and give the skin a scrape - enough to push the proteins under the skin. THen you sit and wait (ours puts on a video if you want) about 15-20 minutes and then look for the reaction. If there is a reaction then there will be a red spot or a welt. They compare the size of the reaction against that of a histamine control poke that they administer with the others. Another option is a blood test, which some allergists do in tandem with the skin test just to make sure. If they suggest a blood test and you have to go to a lab to have it done then ask the allergist for names and places that are good at drawing for kids. Overall it is pretty painless -my DD has had it done a number of times starting at 10 months and it never seemed to bother her too much (except the actual reaction site, but her welts were huge and very itchy).

I think if you suspect allergy then definitely go with your instincts. Go straight to an allergist - pedis don't know what they need to about allergy IMHO.

Deb

PS - if you need support or further help there are some great mamas over at the "food allergy families" exchange :

http://exchanges.webmd.com/food-allergy-families

abbygailsmom1 responded:
I agree with what Deb said. If you have the skin prick test, ask for the regional testing too. It will test for allergens in the area you live in. Our allergist did the basic tests and then decided she wanted to do the regional testing too. DD was allergic to 5-6 types of trees and tumbleweeds. These were all on the regional testing.

gmama07 responded:
My coworker just had her 11 mo old tested and they tested for regional along with some foods. It was one tube of blood and she brought her in to our workplace, the hospital outpatient lab. Our pedi office doesn't even draw blood there. They say the hospital does much better, so why waste anyone's time. I would tell your pedi you really do want an allergy test done, you might be able to get them to fax the order somewhere, without going in again. If they absolutely will not give you an order for an allergy test, then definitely ask another pedi or an allergist. I have heard of the skin prick tests, but I don't see the point when you can do tests on a tube of blod, rather than having your child itch if they react to something? Of course, I am not an allergist! Best of Luck!

RJDsMomma replied to gmama07's response:
Thank you all so much for your help. So going to try and get the ball rolling on trying to get some allergy test done. Something else has to be going on with him, he still has the rash and I just don't get why it is not clearing up. I am just so happy that it does not seem to bother him. Thanks again to everyone for your feedback!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home Mom of 1 son. I love spending every day with him. I have an amazing husbands who works like crazy so I don't have to work outs...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.