Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scratching/Itching in the creases of arms/leg
nycparent posted:
I have a little girl who is almost two. She has had eczema much of her life. The doctor recommended using aquaphor for the dryness and that has somewhat helped.

Despite some relief, the problem has persisted in the creases of her arms and legs and she scratches those areas day and night. Now, I don't even know if the skin problem is a problem or if the scratching is just habitual!

It not seems like it is worse that ever. She scratches so much that her skin is very raw in those areas and she has scabs from the scratch marks. It also wakes her up (and me!) several times at night because she does it in her sleep. She always asks for lotion, but it is never enough.

The doctor also recommended switching soaps and using hydrocortisone at a later checkup. I didn't see much relief with the hydrocortisone, but maybe I didn't stick with it long enough? I fear that since she so actively scratches, she will be getting in her mouth and eyes all the time.

I even tried wrapping those areas to keep her from scratching, but she pulls that right off and I don't want to wrap it too tight!

Any thoughts on this? Someone suggested it might be allergies. I have switched detergents and don't feed her anything that I think normally triggers allergies..

Please help! This is really troubling me.

mlgbears31 responded:
My DD has the same thing. I use no soaps on her at all, except shampoo for her hair. No bubble bath, etc. We also use just barely warm water. Warm or hot water dries the skin. After bath, we use Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream all over her. It's the only thing that has worked for her.

I understand your frustration. Our pedi gave us all sorts of tricks and tips and nothing worked. We ewven tried Soy milk for 6 months, thinking it was a dairy allergy. We had allergy testing done and it came back all clear.

Good luck! I hate seeing them scratch and itch :(

curleysue1968 responded:
I suffer from eczmea as an adult. I will sleep with socks on my hands to keep me from scratching at night!! Just a thought!

SAHM2myGirl responded:
I had eczema that bad as a kid and my DD has it on her ankles. I use Cortizone 10 ointment that I got at Walmart. The ointment doesn't sting like the creme. It also seems to provide relief faster than the creme. I put it on my DD right after her bath when her skin is still a little wet. It works really well. It won't heal overnight so you gotta stick with it and it will come back in a hurry if you stop.

3boysmom1981 responded:
I agree with PP about trying an ointment instead of a cream. My DS2 had eczema really bad and he always complained about the cream stinging but never about the hydrocortisone ointment.

Have you ever had an allergy testing done? We suspected a cow's milk allergy and after we cut it out of my DS2's diet his eczema is 99% gone. He still has an occasional flare up but nothing like it used to be.We never did the formal allergy testing b/c eliminating milk seemed easier than a blood draw. He can still have cheese and yogurt but he drinks Almond milk.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a Mom(30) of one DD (11/16/07) living in Southeast Missouri. DH (37)is a farmer and website guru; I work full time for a large insurance compa...More

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.