Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help! My two year old throws up every time she cries hard!
brittandhollysmom posted:
So frustrating! My two year old does not even cry everyday she is a pretty happy go lucky kid, but when I do put her in a time out she throws up in the first minute and totally negates my time out because I have to get her and clean her up. She never ends up doing her whole time out. Also she still cries in the middle of the night sometimes wanting us to come get her and she will throw up then too. Anyone have any ideas?

linzuh04 responded:
She's doing it for attention.

DD had a stomach virus and was hospitalized in April for vomitting. A good month after she got out, anytime she didnt want to eat/drink with us at the table, didnt want to go to bed, take a nap, or anything, she would say she was going to throw up and make herself start gagging. She never threw up, and finally we ignored it. Your daughter knows she will get out of timeout if she throws up. If she does it again, make her sit the length, then you can clean her up.
ME (20s) DH (pushing 30) and since I cant ever remember their names, 1 is almost 4 and 2 is almost 2.

modd0709 replied to linzuh04's response:
I think the best way to get her to stop is to ignore it. She is doing it for attention so don't give her the attention. Even if she throws up make her sit there for the time out and then when it's over clean her up. (Like PP mentioned) Try not to make a big fuss about it either. Just get her out of the time out and clean her up without saying much at all. I think once she sees she is not getting a reaction out of you and she is still having to do her timeout she will stop.

emily8091457 responded:
I agree. As bad as it sounds... I would let her just sit in it. She pry won't do it very many more times if she sees that it's not going to get her out of the time out. Throwing up and then sitting in it is... not fun.
Me(30)DH(31) DD1-Ilse (3/17/08) DD2-Anya (3/19/10)

brittandhollysmom replied to emily8091457's response:
Thank you all. That is what I was planning. We don't usually make a fuss we just get her and clean her up. I will let her sit the whole time out without cleaning her up till the end from now on. Thanks a lot for reaffirming what I already knew in my heart.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a beautiful 2 year old son, Boston, who is the light of my life. He was born at 36 weeks due to my having crazy blood pressure issues and it wa...More

Helpful Tips

2 1/2 yr old Will Not Eat Regular Food
My 2 1/2 yr old grandson will not eat regular food for lunch or diner. He only wants baby food. We have tried puree the food, putting it in ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.