Skip to content
Colorblind? (Purple) APO 3yr
ShayKTen posted:
Ive noticed something with DD and the color purple over the weekend that has me a little concerned

While giving her a bath Saturday morning she pointed to two different water crayons (one purple and one blue) and called them both blue. I corrected her and said one is purple and the other blue and pointed to each. I then asked her to show me the blue one, she did (correct) and the purple one, in which she picked the correct one as well. Maybe because we already eliminated the correct blue one - ?

My mom was at the store with her Friday and they got a container of grapes. On the label is showed a red, purple and green grapes. Rylie pointed to the purple grape and said "they have green and red grapes, but they don't have blue grapes". My mom told her that it wasn't blue but it was a purple grape and Rylie wanted to 'argue' with her about the color.

On sunday, we were sort of quizzing her without making a big deal out of it, but we asked what color her shorts were. She said purple, which they were but she also knew from that morning she had purple shorts on as I told her while getting her dressed. I had the same color top on and I asked what color it was and she responded with blue. We picked different shades of the two colors that were around the house and would ask what color they were.... all in which she would respond with blue unless she had previously been told that they were purple in the past (she has a memory like an elephant)

Please note, that Rylie learned her colors at a very young age and has ALWAYS excelled at them. It didn't matter on the shade of the color, she could always tell you the correct color. But now Im beginning to wonder if her eyes are changing and she is colorblind to the color purple. Is this possible?? Im going to keep 'quizzing' her on the colors without overwhelming her and will follow up with the pedi at her 4yr checkup, but Im still a little concerned.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, or anyone dealing with something similar??

NewCarr1 responded:
Does she know her letters and numbers? There are color blindness tests... http://www.everwonder.com/david/colorblind.html But I wouldn't use those as "proof". Ask the doctor... maybe she's just being lazy and saying blue cause it's easier. I think a lot of people have trouble seeing blue vs purple... DH and I have had this issue a few times, choosing DS clothes when he was a newborn! LOL People see shades and colours differently...
Erin (27) DH (45) DS Mackenzie (2, born 05/26/2008, loves beep-beeps and choo-choos).

Shena1981 replied to NewCarr1's response:
I agree with Erin that it might be different shades. You may think the things she got right were becasue she'd heard it before, but it might be because they were a different shade.

At DD's gymnastics glass there are colored bean bags that the kids have to name and then put in the correct hoop. One of them is apparently orange and all the kids get it right, but to me it looks red, not even close to orange
Mom, Dad and Kidlet

Stephensmom1214 responded:
I replied to you on the 3 year old board, but I'll do it again here. I agree with the others that it might just be unclear to her. True colorblindness in a female is really rare.

FarmWife1979 responded:
Colorblindnesss in females is really rare. You and Your DH would both need to have the gene for it. I agree with other posters, it's most likely just a confusion rather than really being color blind, especially since she seems to be getting the other colors right all the time. But it wouldn't hurt to follow up with your pedi at the next check-up since it isn't impossible. The good thing about it is that it doesn't really hinder most people, unless they have a specific job that requires being able to make the distinctions - electricians, pilots, and of course painters, are some jobs that jump to mind where it could be a problem.

My DH is color blind, he sees colors, but can't easily make distinctions between them - red vs green and brown vs green seems to give him the most trouble, but he has trouble with blue/purple too. His Dad and his brother are both color blind as well. When we first started dating I went clothes shopping with him and couldn't believe some of the ungodly color combinations he was picking on his shirts. I thought he was picking up the ugly shirts just to tease me until I sarcastically asked, "Are you color blind? That's a horrible combination." to which he replied, "Well, actually, yes I am." Oh man, did I feel bad and spent the rest of the afternoon apologizing. This is also why I lay out DD's outfits the night before so that he doesn't have to suffer through trying to find the matching outfits when we helps get her dressed in the morning while I'm still in the shower.
Holly (31) DH (37) DD (2.5 - born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

NewCarr1 replied to FarmWife1979's response:
Holly, I'm sorry, but that's funny!! I would have felt bad only if he was insulted. I dated a guy who was colour blind and we joked about it all the time. Like at a red light, I'd say, you know that's red, and red means stop, right?? :)
Erin (27) DH (45) DS Mackenzie (2, born 05/26/2008, loves beep-beeps and choo-choos).

Stephensmom1214 replied to FarmWife1979's response:
Holly, my DH is color blind also. He has memorized what shades "go" together, but he used to have some hideously bright-colored clothes in his closet! Now we mainly stick with one palette so I can trust him to get dressed on his own in the morning.

His parents found out when he was 3 years old because he brought his mom a brown matchbox car and insisted it was the same color as her GREEN car. But they had expected it, as HER dad was colorblind.

ShayKTen replied to FarmWife1979's response:
A good friend of ours cannot see the color green, it appears to be blue to him. Whether its light green or dark green, its blue.

Who knows what the deal is, like I said she has always done an excellent job on her colors. Maybe she is just having a brain fart moment that is lasting a few days!!!

You're probably safe laying the clothes out the night before anyways, guys already have enough trouble trying to match up clothes without the colorblindness in play lol
Shayla(25), DH(32), Rylie Kay(3), Reagan(18mnths)

FarmWife1979 replied to NewCarr1's response:
Back in high school I worked in a dry cleaners. A customer used to bring in his shirts and pants and in the collar and in the waistband he'd have someone write blue, brown, black, etc with a black permanent marker. Sometimes when he had new shirts or pants he'd ask us to do it for him. I
Holly (31) DH (37) DD (2.5 - born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

tlkittycat1968 replied to FarmWife1979's response:
If the father is colorblind and the mother isn't, his daughters will carry the gene and his sons will be okay. If the mother is colorblind and the father isn't, her sons will be colorblind and her daughters will carry the gene. If both mother and father are colorblind, all the kids will be colorblind as well.

The gene for colorblindness is on the X chromosome. A female would have to have both her X chromosomes have the gene in order for her to be clolorblind. If only one of her X chromosomes has the gene, she will just be a carrier. The reason more men are colorblind is because they only have 1 X chromosome and don't have a second healthy X to cancel out the gene on the first X.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Courtney, and I'm a 33 year old mother of a beautiful little lady born 9/08 and a handsome little guy born 5/10 and wife to a wonderful ma...More

Helpful Tips

tips please toddler refuses to sleep in his crib....
how can I put my 1 and a half to sleep in his crib the whole night ?? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.