Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
POLL - OT - BED SIDE?
LittleTandMe posted:
My friend and I had a discussion. She had heard that moms tend to sleep on the side of the bed closest to the door, so she purposefully picked the other side of the bed, so her DH would get up more (I don't think it worked). Then, we figured out we both slept on the left side of the bed (the left if you are laying on it). Realized most women we knew did that. Soooooo.

1. Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it)

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door?

3. How did you end up sleeping like that? Accident, you or DH had a preference, or on purpose to be closer to baby/bathroom?
DS - 2.75 - I refuse to put almost 3

LittleTandMe responded:
1. I sleep on the left of the bed.

2. I am closer to both the bathroom and door to hall. But in hotels it ends up being closer too. Weird, bed's must be turned the same way.

3. Accident. That's just where we ended up, long before DS.

Oh, and we sleep like that whether we are at home, visiting parents, or hotel. I am on the left.
DS - 2.75 - I refuse to put almost 3

mrv77 responded:
1. Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it) I sleep on the right

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door? I am closer to the door and the batroom is right across our bedroom

3. How did you end up sleeping like that? Accident, you or DH had a preference, or on purpose to be closer to baby/bathroom? A little of everything. I always slept on the left but when DD started teething and not sleeping through the night I had to start getting up and my SO wanted to be by the window because he is always hot and I'm always cold.
Me(30ish) DD (2)

ariannasmommy1125 responded:

1. Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it) Left

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door? Closer to the bathroom door. He is closer to the exit door.

3. How did you end up sleeping like that? Accident, you or DH had a preference, or on purpose to be closer to baby/bathroom? Accident I guess. Come to think of it, I have always slept on the left side of the bed even when I was sleeping alone.
Amy 30 DH 28 Arianna born 3/5/08. TTC 2 with PCOS.

SAHM2myGirl responded:
1. Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it) - Right side

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door? - Closer to the bedroom door. The bathroom door is centered in the middle of the bed across the room.

3. How did you end up sleeping like that? Accident, you or DH had a preference, or on purpose to be closer to baby/bathroom? DH and I sleep in separate rooms, always have. I've always slept on the right side, DH does too. Even when we travel we try to get a room with 2 beds or I will sleep on the floor or couch.

cinder44 responded:
1. Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it) left

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door?
the bathroom is on his side & the exit door is on his side

3. How did you end up sleeping like that? Accident, you or DH had a preference, or on purpose to be closer to baby/bathroom?
nope just the way it has always been.
Me, DH, DD(3), DS(3) - twins

Shena1981 replied to SAHM2myGirl's response:
Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it) - Right side

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door? - The door is at the foot of the bed a little of to the left, so it's slightly closer to DH
3. How did you end up sleeping like that? Accident, you or DH had a preference, or on purpose to be closer to baby/bathroom? We've always slept like this. No matter where our bed has been, the left side has the more convenient plug for the alarm clock. Since DH is the one that uses it, he sleeps next to it. DD's room is across the at, so the couple extra steps isn't a bug deal and our bathroom is as far as can be from our room, so again it doesn't make a difference. We do sleep on our sides no matter where we stay. Even camping :)
Mom, Dad and Kidlet

ryanandleigh responded:
1. Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it) left side

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door? closer to the bathroom door (this has been true for the past 3 houses)

3. How did you end up sleeping like that? Accident, you or DH had a preference, or on purpose to be closer to baby/bathroom? It wasn't on purpose and really I am not that much farther from the exit door. We now have just gotten into this pattern and usually follow it when staying in a hotel.
Leigh, Jacen (5), Alexa (2)

FarmWife1979 responded:
1. Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it) - left side

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door? Closer to the door out

I'm the daughter of a fire fighter and have it drilled into my head to sleep where I have the shortest/clearest path to the door in case of a fire. So no matter where I am - home, hotel room, friend's house, tent, I always sleep closest to the door. It's just automatic, I don't even realize I do it anymore unless I stop to think about it.
Holly (31) DH (37) DD (2.5 - born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

VicsEandJ responded:

1. Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it) right

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door? I am closer to the door- only one door. In our first aprtment, I was on the right but farther from the door

3. How did you end up sleeping like that? Accident, you or DH had a preference, or on purpose to be closer to baby/bathroom? When we moved, we stupidly put the bed close to the window with the air conditioner, so I made DH, who likes it cold, sleep closest to it. He did more of the getting up with #2 before she started sleeping with us, too.
Me (41), DH, DS (2 1/2), DD (1)

tlkittycat1968 responded:
1. Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it)
Left side

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door? Closer to the bedroom door. When our bed faced the other way, I was closer to the bathroom door.

3. How did you end up sleeping like that? Accident, you or DH had a preference, or on purpose to be closer to baby/bathroom? I prefer to sleep on my left side facing out. No matter where we are, home, hotel, friends, I always sleep on the left side. It has nothing to do with being closer to the bathroom or bedroom door.

jlc78 responded:
1. Do you sleep on the right or left of the bed? (RT or LT laying on it). Left side.

2. Are you closer to the door? The one out or the bathroom door? Yes, I'm closer to both the bathroom and the other door.

3. How did you end up sleeping like that? Accident, you or DH had a preference, or on purpose to be closer to baby/bathroom? We've always slept like that.
Me (31) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

NewCarr1 responded:
If i'm on the bed, laying on my back, I'm on the left side.

Furthest from the door. We don't have an ensuite. Sadly.

We had this arrangement since we moved in together. DH says he'll always take the side closet to the door so that if anyone ever "breaks in" they'll have to get through him to get to me. DH also has a baseball bat beside the bed. LOL
Erin (27) DH (45) DS Mackenzie (2, born 05/26/2008, loves beep-beeps and choo-choos).

j9ween2 responded:
I still don't understand if you mean on your back or belly in reference to right or left. So...

If I am on my back I am on the right, closer to the bathroom than the door out

I like to keep my head turned to that side & I can't stand the feeling / smell of DH's breath

Spotlight: Member Stories

My DH and I have two little girls (Ilse 3/17/08) (Anya 3/19/10). I am a stay at home mom and am SOOOO glad that we are fortunate enough to have that a...More

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.