Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
2 yr old skin discoloration
GramaTita posted:
Just wondering if any one know anything about skin discoloration on a toddler. My granddaughter 2 1/2 yrs old, starting when she kept getting rashes on her bottom from her poopy. After we finally got her rashes under control and her stin healed it was like four shades lighter on the affected area than her normal skin color. Now we have noticed she has a few spots of lighter color in her arm pit and one on her ankle. Not sure if there had been an old scrap there and it healed that way. There is no dryness or unevenness to the touch. The skin feels completely normal except for the color. We plan to take her to the Dr.s soon, but wondered if anyone had seen this before.

mrsbeasley123 responded:
Sounds like she might have a tan, but it on her bottom? If she has new skin coming in and her skin is tan, the new skin will be very light in compairison. Other than that, I'm not sure. I would call the Dr and just ask.
Me (30), DH (32), dd1 (3) and dd2 (2)

emily8091457 responded:
It's very hard to tell without looking, and it's pry best that the child's doctor take a look just to be sure it's nothing to worry about it. But it COULD be vitiligo. A person that has this will have their normal skin color and then in random spots it will be a lighter color. It can be anywhere on the body I think and it could be just a little spot/dot to big patches. I put a link to go to.. just a random site, but it has pictures. You can google vitiligo and see what comes up... see if that looks similar to what your granddaughter has.

http://www.skinsight.com/adult/vitiligo.htm
Me(30)DH(31) DD1-Ilse (3/17/08) DD2-Anya (3/19/10)

gmama07 responded:
I had a pale spot on my wrist once and it turned out to be a bacterial infection. I thought they called it impetigo. Best get it checked out. Having open skin on her bottom from the rashes could have left it open to infection, or it could just be new layers of skin.. I would call the pedi!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a mom to a 2yr old boy & 1yr old girl. My son is considered delayed in his speech development. He has no known hearing problems and is enro...More

Helpful Tips

Potty Training Advice
For those of you potty training, when you send your kids to school/daycare/or even in the car where you keep your change of clothes, make ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 45 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.