Skip to content
Potty trainng in 3 days??
MommyLuvs02 posted:
I recently found this article...

http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc?page=1

and was curious if anyone here has tried it and how successful you were. I think it sounds too good to be true and want to try it but I think i might wait until my 1 month old is a little older so I can concentrate more on PT my almost 2 year old.

DidiToo responded:
Like so many things with kids...it depends. I did a lot of barebottom experiments with DS2, hoping that he would train before the 39-month point that DS1 did. Well, no. He'd just pee on the floor and announce he was doing it. It was no big deal for him. The problem I see with the article is that the author is saying, "Look for signs of readiness" while at the same time saying, "This works best for kids under 28 months" - and a lot of kids just don't show any signs of readiness at that time.

That said...I did a number of weekend barebottom sessions, not really thinking they were getting us anywhere, when lo and behold, DS2 just announced, two weeks after his third birthday, that he'd be going to school in underwear that day instead of a diaper. And he was trained, just like that.

SAHM2myGirl responded:
I tried a lot of these techniques with my DD several times beginning at about 24 months. All I have to say is I'm really glad I own a really good carpet cleaner. She peed on everything! It was so frustrating. She just didn't get it. I tried at 24 months, 26, 28 and she finally got it at 30 months. When she was actually ready it really was easy. I did the bare bottom thing again. The worst part though was at first we stayed home bare bottom and when we would go out or I would put ANYTHING on her (panties, shorts or pants) she would instantly pee in them. It was like her brain said "if there's nothing on then I have to use the potty but it there IS something on then it's ok to pee". She just couldn't differentiate between a diaper and clothing. That took about a week to get over. I also did treats, 2 M&M's for pee, 3 for poo. Giving the treats only lasted about a week though. She was not poo trained right away. She would beg for a diaper when she would have to poo. She also learned to just hold it until naptime and go then. That took about 2 weeks after being pee trained.

Potty training is frustrating for everyone if the child isn't ready. My friends had their DD trained by 23 months so every kid is different. GL!

proudmom0331 responded:
This is pretty similar to what were doing right now. This is attempt number 2. Like the pp the first time was a disaster. She peed all over the house and was scared to death of the pee. This time she's doing pretty well. We're on day two she's gone in the potty all day but I put the nap diaper on her and she's wet it already. Its progress though, and I have three weeks off so I'm going to keep going with it.
me (25) dh (27) dd (2)

ryanandleigh responded:
OK - I didnt' read the article but I followed a book called Potty Training in One Day which says kids can be trained in 1 day (or up to 2 weeks). Used the tips (not fully, we modified them for our children) and both kids were potty trained in about 2-3 days. With DS I tried right at 2 and he wasn't ready. He had some signs but really could care less if pee was running down his leg or that his underwear was wet. Tried again at 2 1/2 years and took right to it. We did DD at 2 years 4 months old. She had never set on a potty before and kept saying she didn't want to use the potty. We trained in the bathroom (which saves your carpets) and used a doll to demonstrate the desired behavior. I have to say it worked well for us and for a friend who trained both of her boys this way. (Her first was trained at 21 months old.) The main thing (as I learned with DS) is that the child MUST be ready to be trained.
Leigh, Jacen (5), Alexa (2)

peachyga responded:
I agree with pp's, it really depends on temperament of each child and also largely on whether the child is ready or not. Even then, the "readiness" could vary from child to child. DS1 was trained pretty much in 3 days. He was 3 yrs and 1 mo old. We tried several times before but I quickly stopped when I realized he wasn't ready to save myself frustration. This time, I'd hyped him up by "diapers are for baaaabies" mantra a few weeks before, switched to underpants (I couldn't bear the thought of having to clean up each mess if we'd gone bare-bottom), M&Ms, stickers, a kitchen timer, etc. It really helps if you can focus 100% of your attention on PTing for a few days (I sent DS2 away to IL's for the week). So it can be done, but when it doesn't happen, don't get too frustrated...

ryanandleigh replied to peachyga's response:
I agree...I sent DS to work with DH when I trained DD. We spent from 9-3 together before DH brought DS home. We went straight to underwear too and offered rewards that pretty only lasted Friday and Saturday. I say if they aren't ready, don't force them. It is more frustrating than anything to work with a LO who isn't ready. I am sure it is frustrating for them too. When they are ready they will pick it up quickly.
Leigh, Jacen (5), Alexa (2)

MommyLuvs02 responded:
Thanks all!!! I think we will wait until maybe 2 1/2 or shortly before and definately will not be going bare bottom, underwear for us, lol. but now that i know it works from real paople, not just an article claiming it will, we will definatly try this method first!

Thanks again!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello all..I am now a proud mother of a 2year old little girl. Miss Celeste blessed my life on 8/9/08 and she is truly my angel! I am also a single f...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.