Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
WWYD? Preschool
jlc78 posted:
Some of you may recall we tried putting DS in my step-mom's preschool last September. It was a disaster. He freaked out so we pulled him out and figured we would try again later.

Well, it's later. So yesterday afternoon I took both kids to visit my step-mom. DS was excited to go until we started walking up the steps. He froze for a few minutes but after getting inside, being offered a freeze pop and seeing all of the cool toys he changed his mind. When it came time to leave, it was a fight that ended in bribery with a gummy bear.

I asked him on the way home if he wanted to go back and he said yes. I also explained to him that I wouldn't be able to go with him but Grandmom would be there if he needed her. He was still fine with the idea.

So here is where I'm stuck and need your input. I don't know what to do about DD. I could send her along with him. She had just as much fun (if not more fun) than he did so I'm positive she would do fine with it. But I'm nervous to put her in a situation that would expose her to more sick kids (ie seizures). I could just send DS but them I'm worried that she'll really want to go too. And if I did send just DS, then I have the worry that she would still be exposed to anything that DS would bring home. DS has been pretty healthy. I can count on my hand the number of times he's been sick. But he hasn't been exposed to much since he's never been in daycare and we don't do play groups. Who knows if things will be the same when he's exposed to it.

I know eventually DD will be exposed to these things. But as she grows older, the chances of having a febrile seizure decreases. The peak age is around 18 months so she is past the peak. And most kids tend to level off with them by age 2 1/2 but they can still have them up to age 5 or 6.

Thoughts????
Me (31) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

Take the Poll

Who do I send to nursery school in the fall?
  • Don't send either child.
  • Send just DS.
  • Send both kids.
  • Other. Because there's always other....
vote
View Poll Results

linzuh04 responded:
HAHA....50/50.

I dont really think it's fair to send both. Is it a real preschool, or is it just daycare? If it's real school, your DD isnt old enough to go to "real school" yet, so let your DS enjoy that experience and THEN she can have her turn. Of course she is going to want to go. She's going to want to do EVERYTHING her brother does. Trust me. I have to drag DS out of DDs classroom kicking and screaming everyday, but he's not in school. When he's 3, he can go, but until then, he can wait.

IMO it's just not fair for your DS to have his sister there experiencing the same things he is when she is so much younger. It really reinforces the fact that he's the older one and she's younger, so she really cant do all of the things that he can. What about when he goes to full day K? Then she wont get to go, and you'll have to fight that battle anyway, so you might as well fight it now, and get her used to not being able to do all of the things that your DS does.

(Sorry for rambling.....DD keeps talking to me and making me look at things and I'm losing my train of thought...lol)
ME (20s) DH (pushing 30) DD(2006) DS (2008)

jlc78 replied to linzuh04's response:
It is a preschool but they take kids starting at 2 years old. The 2 year olds are in a separate group. Per their webiste: They participate in a loosely structured circle time with an emphasis on gross motor, speech, fine motor and sensory skills.

I totally get your point. And that's also in the back of my head too. Not rambling at all, lol! That's just the feedback I'm looking for!

linzuh04 replied to jlc78's response:
She would probably prefer the one on one time with you to the preschool right now, anyway. I know DS loves it, but then when he sees his sister at the end of the day, it's priceless :)
ME (20s) DH (pushing 30) DD(2006) DS (2008)

curleysue1968 responded:
I agree with Linz on sending only DS. He could get sick more often (my DD certainly has) but he could also catch a bug at the supermarket or the playground anytime and bring it home. The exposure will help build his immunity. GL

megmoo78 responded:
I would just send DS right and send DD next year. This would give you and DD one on one time and DS a chance to have some independence and get some socialization.

Maybe for DD you can find a small playgroup for right now that would give her a chance to play with a more control group.She'll be less likely to get sick.
Megan, DH,1DD 2DSs

mrv77 replied to megmoo78's response:
I would send DS and spend some one on one time with DD before she starts school.
Me(30ish) DD (3)

3boysmom1981 responded:
I agree with the others on just sending your DS. DD will have years to go to school, why rush it? i'm sure she will love getting some 1 on 1 time with you. I do kind of know how you feel though. DS2 is already upset about the fact DS1 will be going to K everyday in the fall.
Me, DH and our 3 boys (5, 2.5, and 11mo)

VicsEandJ responded:
I would send both kids. If DS goes, DD will likely be exposed to all of the same germs he is anyway, since theey will come home with him. When I had DD, I worried about the germs because she was newborn. I had read somewhere that you should have older kids change their clothes when they come home from daycare so that they aren't wearing the germy daycare clothes when thye interact with the newborn. I asked DC's pedi about this and she said not to bother because there is no way to keep any germs DS is exosed to away from DD if they live together, so we didn't bother. It was winter when DD was born and DD caught a cold much sooner than DS did, but she was okay. DH & I also cauhgt everything DS got when he first started daycare.

But the extra germs are usally onlya probelm the firts year in daycare. Afterhtat they've got immuntiy. My pedi says daycare kids make the healthiest kindergartners.

I know your DD has bigger issues, but i don't think that shouldstop you from sending her if DS will be there anyway.

Also, if your DD likes beign aroudn other kids, I tjhink you shoudl send her. She's obvioslu advanced for her age, sicne hse's potty trained already.

My kids daycare is also a preschool ( kids can go until they are old enough for kindergarten) and the things they start doing with the kids at age 2 is amazing. I think she would really benefit from it. Plus having my DD at daycare with DS is great for their relationship. DS walks her to her classroom in the morning, they hold hands walking to and from school and she loves when she gets to go into his room with his firends. Next month, they will be in the same breakfast room together- so they can interact even more.

I don't think its unfair for them to stat at the same time. I am the older sister and my mom would make me wait to do things until I was a certain age and then let my sister, who is a year younger do them at the same time as me- I always thought that it was unfair- my mom thought it was just easier and we are only 13 months apart. But since DS and DD will both have to go to school, I don't see her going to preschool at the same time as him as one of the unfair things siblings have to deal with.

If you are worried, would it be possible to send DD part-time at first?

Just my opinion,

Vickie
Me (41), DH, DS (3), DD (1 1/2)

Shena1981 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
I would send them both. I bet having DD there would make DS more comfortable. I don't think its unfair. I don't think that he would even understand that he could go without her.

I think it would be a great experience for both. I also wouldn't worry about sending her because of germs. Unfortunately if DS goes he's goign to bring everything home to her.
Mom, Dad and Kidlet

ryanandleigh responded:
I would just send DS. Even though the preschool goes down to age 2, I would wait until next year to start DD. That is actually what we are doing. DS started preschool at 3 and that is when we will start DD. He went last year to the 4-year-olds preschool and that gave DD and I time to spend together and made DS feel "grown up". DS will attend pre-K this year (holding him back a year before starting K) and DD will be at home with me. She would probably love to go to school with him but upset that they were not together there. I think DD needs to learn that she can't always do what her brother is doing. So I think it would be a good idea for your DD to stay home - especially with her medical issues. Yes, she may still get some exposure with the germs that DS brings home but it certainly isn't the same exposure she would get if she went to preschool.
Leigh, Jacen (5), Alexa (2)

steckie98 responded:
If you really want the one on one time with DD, then keep her home. If you really want her to interact with other kids, send her. I think the germ thing will come no matter what like others have said. Good luck with the decision. I know it's a tough one!
Carrie (32), DH-Jason (36), DS-Ashton (3)

j9ween2 responded:
can you send him 3 days & her 2 days? then you still get some one on one time w/ DD but she is also going

Kimmy1545 responded:
I'd start with just DS. DD will have plenty of time for school.

My DD was always fine dropping DS off at school and leaving him there. And, last year she was fine with staying in her own class 2 mornings and leaving DS the 3rd morning.

jlc78 replied to Kimmy1545's response:
Thanks for all the replies!

DH and I talked about it last night. We both not ready to send DD just yet.

So this morning I asked DS if he wanted to go to school next month. Naturally (note my sarcasm) he said ONLY if daddy could be there with him. We told him that wasn't an option so he said ONLY if mommy would be there. Again, we told him it wasn't an option but reminded him that Grandmom would be there. Now for the kicker: I asked him if it was ok if DD didn't go. His reply was, "But I would miss her." Melt my heart! So at this point he won't go unless she goes, lol!

The school year doesn't start for another month or so which gives us plenty of time to discuss it with him. It would be 2 mornings a week from 9 to 11:30. Once again, no cost to us since my step-mom works there. And we can literally make the decision to bring him the morning of. So we'll see how things go....

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have two beautiful daughters and they keep me very busy. Our oldest is 2 years old and we also have a 3 week old baby. I love every minute of being...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.