Skip to content
19 kids and counting!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
So I have read that the Dugger's would welcome child number 20!! If you could afford it, would you continue to have babies? I'm guessing there reality show is affording them these blessings, but when is enough, enough? How do you share yourself with all these children and make them each feel loved? I catch that show once in a while, and it looks like to me the older ones are raising the younger ones. I guess that's how it has to be! Your thoughts?

dawlfin2 responded:
I have never watched the show but I do think that enough is enough. They can't possibly be giving each of their children the individual attention they deserve and need. If they are insisting on more children, they should share their love and adopt. Just my opinion though.

jnamom81 responded:
No way! I don't think thats fair to the other children to be raising the younger ones. Not only that, the mother gave birth to #19 way early because of issues. Obviously her body is trying to tell her something. I think they should just count their blessings and be happy! Its just my opinion tho!

Shena1981 responded:
I don't care how much money I had I would stop having children when I couldn't care for them myself. If you have to rely on your older children to care for the younger ones a majority of the time, then you have too many.

I know they say it's their religious beliefs, but it seems that she's addicted to being pregnant.

I also don't know why they'd put their family through that after what happened with her last pregnancy
Mom, Dad and Kidlet

VicsEandJ responded:
I think they are nuts!

The last two births have been less than ideal- the last one was born at 25 weeks. I have read that every pregnancy attaches to a diferent par tof your uterus and therefore makes it weaker, so by now she really should have no strong spots left- perhaps this is why her births are getting less easy. She is also about my age, I believe and has one grand child already, so really it's time to hang up the childbearing thing- unless she's addicted to it or the attention she gets from it.
Me (41), DH, DS (3), DD (1 1/2)

mrv77 replied to VicsEandJ's response:
I agree PP. I am traumatized after having DD and the whole ordeal in the NICU. I dont care how much money I have and how much help I can hire. I wouldnt want to put that much responsibility on my older daughters to be a second Mom to their siblings. My parents did that to me and there were only 4 of them and I HATED it.
Me(30ish) DD (3)

simerlm responded:
Alright. Here's my take on it. I had a preemie. She was only 2.5 lbs. The NICU experience was traumatic for me also. But, I had to watch my tiny little baby struggle through everything for the first year of her life. She had a hard time gaining weight and as a result, she was later in developing her milestones. She still is receiving some developmental therapy. I am not having any more children because if there is a chance that I could give birth early again and consequently make my child struggle, then it seems unfair to the child.
Misty (30!) DH (32) Handsome DS (9) Beautiful DD1 (7) Pretty preemie DD2 (2)

eden51671 responded:
i love them! I think they ae awesome. nope, no ma'am...never, not me would I have that many children. But Im not the them. They are doing whats right for their family. I see no difference in the older children helpong raise the younger ones, and the same older children having a job. Its just responsibilty. As for them getting individual attention, Im will to bet the get as much as most kids. But they get what is normal for their family. I dont watch the show often so i dont really know whats going on. I do know they have turned out SO FAR to be good VERY well rounded individuals. They are smart, they all play an instrument, the can all help in construction and work on cars (even the girls) they can cook and keep a clean HUGE house. I dont know about everyone else here, but thats more than I can do. If those kids were up to no good, expecially the older ones, the press would be all over them. So obviously something is going right. Now she very well may die giving birth, and thats a sad thing. She is at such a high risk. BUT their God is the most important thing in their life and that is their choice.

Also, before they had the show, he was a state representative and they also own some land that gets leases out to cell phone companies for putting a tower there. Thats alot of money. They also live debt free. Now im sure all the books and realty show money helps. But they are financially savvy as it is.

Just my thoughts. Not my choice, but I dont want anyone telling me whats right for my family and not right.

Iocasta responded:
Honestly, I think the mom has an emotional problem. She has a need to be PG or to have a small baby in her arms.

curleysue1968 responded:
I agree with all the PP's. I think she has a touch of Kate Goslin-itis. :P

emily8091457 responded:
Hmmm... well... she may be "addicted" to having babies, but I doubt she is doing it for the attention or the show. They had a LOT of kids long before they were on TV (even the early specials on them... they had like 14 kids by then).

I personally don't watch the show, except to see a few minutes here and there... and I also would not want to have THAT many kids (I think four would be my limit) :) But if that's what right for them and that's what they're comfortable with... then that's their business. Even before their show, they were living/supporting all the children on their own. I don't believe they are using any funds/help from the government. So I guess I don't see any reason that them having that many kids is bad.

As for the older children having to take care of the babies... I think you get that even in families MUCH smaller. As a PP said... she only had 4 and yet she was put in charge at times. My mom was the oldest of 8 and she helped take care of the babies... that's what families do. My mom talks fondly of having a new baby every year or two to love and play with. She loved it! :) Plus, these kids are home schooled... so they are pry getting more time with mom than some kids of averaged sized families get. Again... not my lifestyle... but it works for them. -- I do think that for her health and the health of any future babies that might be born... it might be a good time to stop just because it would be horrible for something bad to happen (worse than what they've been through with this newest baby) as she IS reaching an age where having babies can become complicated.
Me(30)DH(31) DD1-Ilse (3/17/08) DD2-Anya (3/19/10)

FarmWife1979 responded:
The freedom to choose a life like theirs is what being an American is all about. In truth, they are living the American dream - just with lots of kids. They live debt free, they seem to be good, law abiding, God loving people. I think there are a lot of "reality" shows about far worse people on tv. From what I've watched, there is a lot of love in this family and the siblings are all so closely bonded with each other. A lot of families of just 1 or 2 kids don't have that kind of love and support in their family unit.

I do worry that Michelle's body isn't going to survive another pregnancy, but that's for God to decide I suppose. Maybe He'll give them a stronger sign that it's time to stop - like the onset of menopause.

It's not a lifestyle I would choose (I'm having anxiety attacks about the thought of having a 2nd child!), but it works for them.
Holly (31) DH (37) DD (2.5 - born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

Jen_FLMom replied to FarmWife1979's response:
I think Eden and Holly said it perfectly. I completely agree.
Jen-26 DH-24 DD born 6/2008

Baby1at35 responded:
Well it seems they are well adjusted children. What I wonder is about college it seems the older ones stay there and don't attend anything higher up than high school. The oldest owns a car lot so I guess...Just curious about that part.
I do think that it is fine however many children they have but there are certainly health risks. Personally I wouldn't take the chance. Those kids need a Mom. However they are following their beliefs.

cinder44 responded:
She's having #20 after the problems the last one! Wow, not me! To each their own I guess. They do seem like well rounded responsible kids.

Conceiving twins naturally scared me enough I got fixed after having them. I felt so fortunate not to have any complications. After the chaos settled I do wish we could have had one more. Just to see what one would have been like. It just wasn't feasible money wise. I am content with the two I have.

Like pp my max would proly be 4.
Me, DH, DD(3), DS(3) - twins

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mother to 3 wonderful boys. Doug, Aaron and Josh are the lights of my life. Aaron and Josh are our miracles. After we had Doug we were told w...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.