Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Speech delay/therapy
deal14 posted:
So I had posted a little bit about LO's food habits and how picky she is but she is not really putting 2 words together yet but knows all her body parts and knows what we are talking about when we say things, but I was concerned. We had her well-child visit today with her pedi and she said she is delayed in speech but everything else is ahead of time, they are going to send us to speech therapy which I guess is kind of part of a pre-school thing in certain areas.... so I have to call tomorrow to get more info from a couple places but I feel so bad.

I feel like is there something more i shouldve done? My pedi said no and dont feel guilty but i do. I had told my brother some of this, and he was like well did you sit there and teach her things at all? I was like, um YAH! and he was like oh, because some parents just sit there and then dont know why their kids dont know things... so that kind of made me feel crappy that he could even think that I am THAT bad of a parent. Plus its like when you are looking up numbers for this stuff online in our area it makes it sound like your kid is retarded or something which makes you feel even crappier because she isnt at all.

Has anyone else been through speech therapy or anything similar?

jlc78 responded:
I have not been through speech therapy. But I just want to give you some support. Please don't feel like a bad mom because of this. Before you know it she'll be talking your ear off and this will all be a distant memory.
Me (31) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

TanyaJP replied to jlc78's response:
well we thought our son was delayed in speech. he wasn't putting little sentences together and if the word had more than one syllabel more than likely, he would only say one of the syllabels. but he knew all of his body parts, colors, numbers, etc. and he knew exactly what we were talking about any time we talked to him. his pedi thought he was delayed also so she referred us to have him evaluated. he was and they said he wasn't delayed at all. they were impressed with how smart he was, in fact. he scored above average on most and average on the rest. i'm not even kidding you, right after they left, yo gabba gabba came on and normally he would say "dee" for tudi and "foof" for foofa...he said both of their names perfectly. from that point on he started saying the full words instead of just one syllabel and he started putting sentences together...i think he just wanted to make us look like paranoid parents...lol. but seriously, hopefully she's just stubborn (like i think our ds is) and will catch up. or if nothing else, it'll help her. g/l with everything.
Tanya (36), DH (36), DS (Eric-2), DSD (Cera-11) and DSS (Trent-13). Baby 2 on the way (Max-EDD 9/28/10). 4 angels in heaven with my daddy RIP.

FarmWife1979 responded:
Don't feel bad - it's not like you haven't tried to get her to say things, and clearly you have been teaching her stuff if she knows body parts, etc.

My friend has two boys - the oldest talks up a storm and always has. He's just a chatterbox. The youngest (turning 3 next weekend) barely talks and he is in speech therapy. Personally I think some of his delay is simply that his older brother does all the talking and he can't get a word in edgewise even if he wanted to. My point is that my friend is a really good Mom and has ended up with two kids at opposite ends of the scale when it comes to speech, though she didn't do anything different with them.
Holly (31) DH (37) DD (2.5 - born 11/16/07). Full-time working Mom, Wife, Library Board President, Chef, Chauffer, Maid, Toy Assembler and Repair Technician, and Chief Boo-Boo Kisser.

deal14 replied to FarmWife1979's response:
thank you ladies for the support, I really appreciate it. I hope things go ok and she does start talking better!

sarah0323 responded:
Lurking....

I just want you to know that I have 2 speech delayed LO's. One is 3 and just started attending speech therapy twice a week. The other is 5 and has been attending speech therapy since he was three. Your not a bad parent. Every child develops differently. My LO's don't talk but they know other things. They will eventually talk they are just doing it at there own time. My 5 yo is finally talking and putting sentenaces together. My 3 yo doesn't talk at all. I have two other children who started talking when they were suppose to. I want to let you know that they are not retarted. Both of my LO's are going through the school district now to receive services. They both have IEP's (Individual Education Plan's) which allows them to be tested and then get the services that they need. I have had the exact same feeling that you have. I know that it isn't anything I did or didn't do and you are not a bad mom.

There is another mom seeit2 on the 4 & 5 year old board that helped me alot when I first started going through this process.
Me 32,DD 11, DS1 6, DS2 4, DS3 3, EDD 11/19/10

KC_94920 responded:
My youngest, who is almost 2.5, is speech delayed and has been in therapy since she was 18 months old. She was dx with appraxia of speech and they told us she would need special help for years to come just to learn how to properly pronounce all the sounds in the English language. After several screenings and evaluations we found an amazing therapist that has worked miracles for DD2 and our family. Last spring (at 26 months) she strung together her first 2 word sentence and hasn't stopped since Last week we were told she could be finished in December assuming she continues to progress like this. She's still delayed and has enunciation struggles but is determined to be heard and make progress every week.

I was given a book by our therapist called, It Takes Two To Talk, and found it to be very valuable.
KC (30something), DH (40something), DD1 (7.5), DS (5.5) and DD2 (2.5).

deal14 replied to KC_94920's response:
I will have to look for that book! Thank you both for your words, makes me feel better to know others are going through the same situations and come out ok in the end.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 30 and have been married to my husband for 8 years. We have 2 daughters. Our oldest is 5 and the youngest is 2. We enjoy spending time playing ou...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.