Skip to content
Punishment
Pink524 posted:
Lydia refused to eat her dinner tonight - after many fair warnings she was sent to have a bath, and right now she's sitting in her room. She is supposed to be sleeping, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm starting to feel guilty for sending her to sleep early, with out the movie she normally has before she goes to sleep.

Is it too soon?

ariannasmommy1125 responded:
Honestly, I don't punish my DD for not eating her dinner. Toddlers go through stages where they just pick at food and according to my pedi the best thing to do is just keep offering healthy food and not give junk food just to get them to eat something. They won't starve themselves and they will eat when they are hungry. Most parents I have talked to say meal time goes better when they stop bargaining, begging, threatening their little one to eat and just sit them down for a meal. If they eat, great. If not, that's ok too. Maybe save her dinner for later or give her a healthy snack before bed if she says she is hungry. HTH!
Amy 30 DH 28 Arianna born 3/5/08. TTC 2 with PCOS.

TanyaJP replied to ariannasmommy1125's response:
don't punish for not eating either...i just don't keep offering different things. he gets what i made or nothing. if i know he isn't going to like what i made, i make something simple for him (ie: tv dinner, hot dogs/mac & cheese, etc). again, if he doesn't eat, it gets put up until he's ready to eat. if he doesn't eat it that night, i usually toss it.
Tanya (36), DH (36), DS (Eric-2), DSD (Cera-11) and DSS (Trent-13). Baby 2 on the way (Max-EDD 9/28/10). 4 angels in heaven with my daddy RIP.

jlc78 responded:
IMO, I think that 'punishment' was a bit severe for the offense.
Like PP said, toddlers go through stages where they don't eat. And speaking from personal experience, the more you fight it, the worse the situation becomes.

To answer your specific question, yes I think it's too soon to use a punishment like that. IMO, there are other ways to disciple at this age that are more effective. Time outs (although not in this particular case) or taking away a privilege (ie toy, no movie later, no dessert) are generally what I would lean towards.

What's done, is done so don't feel guilty about how you handled the situation.
Me (31) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

roni090909 responded:
I don't punish DS for not eating. I just take his food away and move on. He goes to bed about 1.5 hrs after dinner time, so he doesn't get a snack. If he did get a snack, I would offer his dinner again not the normal snack. Sometimes they just aren't hungry and I don't think they should be forced to eat.
Me (30) DH (37) DS Oct 08, New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

Pink524 responded:
Thanks Ladies I really appriciate your opinions. Tonight she'll have her dinner and I guess really you're right, if she's hungry, she'll eat, if not then she won't.

ShanunC responded:
guess I dont see it as punishment... DD is VERY VERY picky eater.. I make dinner for me and DH and I make her something I know she will eat... probably half the time I let her pick it out and help me make it...
the times I send her to bed without dinner are the nights she throws a tantrum about eating.. where shes throwing her food on the floors and just being disobediant.. if you dont want to eat what I made thats fine.. but Im not a 5 star restaraunt.. if you dont eat dinner then you dont eat until bfast the next morning..
pedi said that at this point in the game she is exercising her rebellious side to see what we will do or shes just not hungry.. we dont get mad.. we make her sit in her chair until we are done with our dinner then she can get down.. but there are no snacks or anything..
thats JMO... however I would def not feel guilty.. If DD doesnt eat her dinner the only thing she misses out on is her story time before bed.. she could care less about the TV.. and Im not gonna make her sit on the couch for over and hour while we wait for bed... if I sent her to bed early.. she would be up early and I like my sleep..lol...
however you have to do what works for you.. if you felt your punishment was just and you feel it made the point to her then thats what you should do..
I dont think theres a wrong or right way to do things like this.. every child is different and different things workd for different kids..

Hang in there.. we hate doing anything that puts a sad face on DD but we cant let her take over and run the house.. just wont work...
Me(26)DH(29)DD(30mnths)Baby2Due2/7/2011(2 days before DDsbday).. SAHM,suffer from Bipolar and Anxiety

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 25 years old and have been married to my hubby for 5 years. He's 27 and we have an adorable two year old together named Jaeden. My husband is...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.