Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anger issues
chantella6473 posted:
So, I'm feeling like a terrible mommy this week. I took the week off to potty train my 2 year old and that actually has gone very well. However, her new found independence is driving me CRAZY. I feel like everything she does makes me scream (literally). I feel so bad. I have lost my temper with her so much this week. I have not been physical (I rarely am...we only spank as a last resort) but I have literally screamed at her a couple of times to the point she cries. Please please do not judge me. I feel horrible enough as it is but I'm honestly just looking for tips or some "been there" stories. I love my girls so much but this week has just been so overwhelming at times. I am a bit of a Type A personality so relinquishing control has been very hard for me. Please someone just give me some calming advice. I just need some mom to mom support right now. Thanks!

niki20_02 responded:
What is she doing that is driving you crazy? You said the potty training thing went really well. That is great. My 2 year old has very little potty interest, other than throwing toilet paper in her potty. My little girl hasnt showed the potty training readiness signs yet. My little one is very independent too.

chantella6473 replied to niki20_02's response:
Well, she'll try to take the seat off the toilet and she is constantly unrolling the toliet paper and flushing it down the toliet. And despite her newfound independence, she's been VERY VERY whiney lately and I CANNOT STAND whining. SHe's really a great kid but sometimes she so stubborn and she just wont listen sometimes. I love her so much but I cannot wait until the terrible twos are over. Also, it probably hasnt helped that she has been waking me up at 4:45 every morning this week. I just feel awful. I think I"m just going to cuddle, kiss, and hug her to pieces tomorrow. SHe deserves it.

roni090909 replied to chantella6473's response:
If the main problem is the bathroom. I would close the door and buy those knobs that you put on it so they can't open it. Instead of yelling all the time. Have you tried doing timeout with her? With DS one time in timeout usually does him good. He is a different kid when he gets up.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Its just the age and she is just testing you. I would try and alternative punishment and also try to eliminate the problem so you have no reason to yell about it.
Me (30) DH (37) DS Oct 08, New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

jlc78 replied to chantella6473's response:
Deep breaths. Relax. You've got a long road ahead of you. And I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't get better when they're 3 either.

I agree with Roni. If the main problem is the bathroom then close it off. She probably still needs your assistance in there anyway with wiping so it shouldn't be an issue. Or put the toilet paper where she can't reach it. That's what we ended up doing.

As for the whining, we tell both kids (particulary DS who is 3) to use his words because we don't understand whining. For discipline, I'm a fan of counting. The book 1,2,3 Magic has been awesome for DS. We use it for DD as well but modify it since she's not quite 2 yet.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Pick and choose your battles. And as hard as it is, give up some of that control. It will make things much easier.
Me (31) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

MrsWhiteCastle responded:
Lurking -- Potty training is a very stressful time. Even if it is going well, it is very stressful to us Moms. Hang in there. I bet things get better as you both get used to her using the potty more.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 32 years old and have been married for 7 years to a wonderful husband, father and my best friend, we have been a couple since 1998. We became par...More

Helpful Tips

2 1/2 yr old Will Not Eat Regular Food
My 2 1/2 yr old grandson will not eat regular food for lunch or diner. He only wants baby food. We have tried puree the food, putting it in ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.