Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Potty Training-Good News and Bad News
chantella6473 posted:
So, good news is DD has been wearing big girl panties for the past two days and has only had one accident only after a week of potty training (she wears pull ups at nap time and bed time though). The bad news is that she is completely freaked out by her BMs and holds it in until it becomes painful. And then she does finally start to go (usually NOT on the potty) she completely falls into hysterics and I have to physically sit her on the potty. I just dont know how to help her. It's like she's scared. I got to the point that I put a pull up on her and told her that if she had to use it to go poop that it was fine but bless her heart, she didnt want to have an accident in her pants. I just want to make it easy for her. Any advice ladies? I just feel so bad for her but it also is VERY stressful for my husband and I as we dont know how to make her feel better. TIA!

SAHM2myGirl responded:
My DD was the same way. She was pee trained but would wait for her nap diaper to poo in or would ask for a diaper when she had to go. I once caught her mid-poo when she was bare butt and I put her on the potty. She pooped but it freaked her out so bad she was hysterical. I just decided that she would poo on the potty when she was ready, which was about 2 weeks after being pee trained. It just happened one day. We didn't make a big deal out of her needing to use a diaper for poo. I would take the poo diaper off of her as soon as she was done and she and I would put the poo in the potty, then she would flush it. I would tell her that poo goes in the potty, not in a diaper. She was home alone with DH one night and she asked him for a diaper. He told her to sit on the potty while he went to go get it. When he got back she had pooped! He made a HUGE deal out of it, dancing and high fiving and gave her M&M's. After that she used the potty for poo. Try not to feel too stressed about it since that projects to her. She'll get it when she's ready.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Chantella6473,

My daughter did the exact same thing when she was two years old. She experienced one episode of a hard stool and was horrified! After this, she was scared to attempt using the potty again for "number twos".

Toddler Constipation: Safe Treatments that Work
is a great WebMD article that will definitely give you ideas and hopefully help your little find relief

Make sure she is drinking lots of fluids and getting fiber during the day. This will help to keep her from constipation. Also, if she is refusing to use the toilet from fear of this hard stool, a little bit a mineral oil in her juice or water will lubricate the stool and acts as a natural laxative.

I think that it would be a great idea for you to also speak to her pediatrician about any other ideas that he/she might have. I wish you both the best of luck!
Best Wishes! Amelia

1stbaby2008 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
My DD freaked out the first round of PTing because she pooped in her potty and it totally grossed her out and she would not use it again for nothing. Now that we tried again (which she is finally PT'd) I used the big potty for poop and told her to make it splash! It worked and she did not have to get grossed out by seeing or being so close to it in her potty. It did take some coaching and book reading though to get her to relax the first time.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married in 2005. We have a two year old daughter. Discussing soon about second child. Both working parents but enjoy every fun filled moment available...More

Helpful Tips

2 1/2 yr old Will Not Eat Regular Food
My 2 1/2 yr old grandson will not eat regular food for lunch or diner. He only wants baby food. We have tried puree the food, putting it in ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.