Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Way OT: Dallas, Texas
linzuh04 posted:
I have a friend that is considering making a move to the big D! I'm from Houston, so I dont know too much about the Dallas area, but I do know there are a few of you out there that live in Dallas. Can you recommend a good area, in a moderate price range (nothing fancy....like Plano or what is it? Grapevine (where the ex Pres lives) )...TIA.
ME (20s) DH (pushing 30) DD(2006) DS (2008)

roni090909 responded:
I live in Keller. Its a really nice area but its probably closer to Ft Worth. Its about 30 min west of Dallas and 20 min north of Ft Worth. On the Dallas side there is Allen or Frisco which are north of Plano but they might be too far north. There is also the Coppell/Irving area which is between Dallas/Ft Worth area semi close to the airport on the northside. President Bush is from Richardson (I think) I know its not Grapevine. Grapevine is close the airport. Its a nice area but the houses are on the older side. There is also Southlake, which is really nice but kind pricey like the Plano area, its between Grapevine and Keller. North of Grapevine is Flower Mound which is a another fairly reasonable nice area but it might be too far north.

I hope that helps. There are quite a few nice areas that aren't price too bad between Dallas and Ft Worth.
Me (30) DH (37) DS Oct 08, New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

seeit2 replied to roni090909's response:
Butting in.... What is the housing market like in Keller? Are prices fair, in your opinion, or are they actually closing way lower than the original asking price? Are there a ton of foreclosures?

TIA

Deb

roni090909 replied to seeit2's response:
Honestly I am not really sure. We bought the house we are in now 4 yrs ago, so its been a while since I shopped around. IMO prices are fair but I am not sure what they are really closing for. Here you can easily get a really nice over 3,000 sq ft house for around $250k. I don't think foreclosures are too high. I know there are some but I think we are below the nation's average. Overall its a great area; good school systems, lots of shopping and eating very close, and its conveniently located between Dallas and Ft Worth.

seeit2 replied to roni090909's response:
Thanks so much for your input! Those house prices are great - my hometown in Western NY had similar pricing for the size. Our first house was 150K and it was 2400 sq feet on 1/2 acre - can't beat that. :) Where I am now, you can't get a house for 250K. A townhouse maybe (maybe) but not a house.

Thanks again

roni090909 replied to seeit2's response:
I know what you mean. I am originally from Orlando. Prior to moving to TX we owned a small 1,500 sq ft house and it was $215k. You definitely get more for your money in TX than most areas. One thing you have to keep in mind is property taxes. On a house that about $250k you pay about $5k/yr in property taxes.

jlc78 replied to roni090909's response:
I'm definitely in the wrong area, lol! I would kill to have taxes as low as $5k on a house that size (and that cheap!).
Me (32) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

roni090909 replied to jlc78's response:
Really I think its super high. In FL we paid about a $1k/yr on our house that was about $215k. This was 7 yrs ago, so things might have changed since.

jlc78 replied to roni090909's response:
Yea, NJ taxes stink! We paid close to $4k on our small 2 bedroom condo 6 years ago. And now we pay over $7k for our 4 bedroom house. We ended up where we are primarily because we couldn't afford the taxes that went along with some of the houses.
Me (32) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

Spotlight: Member Stories

KC~ lucky SAHM to DD1 (8--2nd grade), DS (5--Kindergarten) and DD2 (2.5).

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.