Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Eating Peanuts While Pregnant May Up Allergy Risk
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Yesterday, WebMD published the article Eating Peanuts While Pregnant May Up Allergy Risk . So far, studies aren't proving peanuts to be a risk factor, but they are showing that mothers who consume a great deal during their 3rd trimester may find their LO to be more peanut sensitive.

I don't remember eating peanuts during my pregnancy and am lucky to say that (knock on wood) my daughter so far has shown no signs of allergies to food, medication or anything else. (seasonal allergies, yes!)

Do any of your little ones suffer from peanut allergies or other specific food allergies? If so, can you recall how much, if any you consumed of the product during pregnancy?
Best Wishes!
Amelia

seeit2 responded:
Lurking...but this topic is close to home for me. My 4 yr old DD has a severe milk allergy and an egg allergy. I puked every time I ate eggs while preggo so that rarely happened. I ate an average amount of milk and milk products while pregnant. I ate peanut butter - seriously - at least 90% of the days of my pregnancy (I like eggo waffles and PB for breakfast). No peanut allergy. I am allergic to shellfish and NEVER ate it - have not in years - and she is not allergic.

Frankly, I think all of these studies are crap, designed and carried out by men, to make us even crazier while we are pregnant. ;)

I have a genetic history of food, drug, and environmental allergy in my family - IMO that is the basis of most allergy.
Something environmental may trigger it, but as histories go, my people should have died off long ago lol.

sbgldngrl responded:
i ate peanuts, eggs, and milk during my entire pregnancies. I had a PB sandwich everyday. My son has allergies to all the listed above plus more. Luckily, he is outgrowing the eggs and milk ones though. My daughter *knock on wood* is 17 mo and showing no allergies-not even to animals. I also think they are crap studies. I dont think we know the cause to any of it and either are trying to pacify parents guilt or make preggo mamas crazy. Neither of which are good things.

seeit2 replied to sbgldngrl's response:
Hey sbgldngrl - I have an allergy exchange here on WebMD called "Food allergy families" for parents like us. It's a small community so far but it's growing....you should check it out!

http://exchanges.webmd.com/food-allergy-families

Deb

sbgldngrl replied to seeit2's response:
i actually have it as one of communities but we dont really have any issues so i will check it out occasionally but we have trained my 3yr old very well. He will tell people i cant ahve peanuts and he will even tell us i cant have that "insert food item" because it has peanuts. he's really good about it. and its not severe-he can have granola bars and such made with machinery made around peanuts. but we still ahve an epi just in case. the only problem we had once was this summer and some kid touched his arm with PB and he broke out in rashes so preschool called and luckily i was across the street so i just gave him benyadryal and cortizone cream.

Jackie03291 responded:
I think that there has to be something more than this going on, because I had HUGE peanut butter cravings while I was pregnant, I ate at least one pb sandwich everyday, and my dd has no problems with food allergies.
Jackie (25) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08

Jackie03291 replied to seeit2's response:
I have to say based on personal experience, that I think there has to be more to this issue than just drawing a simple conclusion linking the amount that you ate during pregnancy to your child's chances of suffering from peanut allergies. I had HUGE peanut butter cravings while I was pregnant, I would eat at least one pb sandwich per day, and my 2 year old dd has no problems with food allergies what so ever.
Jackie (25) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
I am very curious about this issue and study as well. My best friend's son has a number of food allergies. She ate a ton of peanut butter when she was pregnant, though he was lucky to not develop a peanut allergy. He IS especially allergic to dye colors, berries, fleshy fruits, coconut and chocolate. She swears that giving him the colored Berry Flavored Baby Tylenol at such a young age has something to do with his dye allergies.

It truly is impossible for anyone to pinpoint every allergy and ailment. We all just try to do our best in taking care of our little one's and keeping them healthy and happy!
Best Wishes! Amelia

MIOB responded:
I had an aboslutely horrible pregnancy and consumed a half a bagel with peanut butter every morning to fend of morning sickness and a handful of peanuts later in the day for the same reason. DD has no food allergies thus far (and he loves his peanuts!).

MrsWhiteCastle replied to MIOB's response:
Lurking --

If I understand the article correctly, the study was done on children who were already diagnosed with a food allergy. I think this completely skews the results of the study since those children will be more likely to have a peanut allergy to begin with. I would be curious to see the results of a study conducted on the general population.

cheeezie25 replied to MrsWhiteCastle's response:
Yup, that is what I read too. I just read a press release of another study recently that suggested that children who are not exposed to peanuts at an early age are more likely to develop allergies.

Basically, none of these findings can be proven to be totally causal. Mother's who believe their children are not at as high of a risk for peanut allergies will be more likely to introduce them to peanuts at a younger age, and moms who do feel like the risk is higher for their children won't.

No offense to any of the mothers who have children with allergies, but I really think there is something else going on here. Kids with peanut allergies are likely to have way more allergies on top of that, so to think that the peanuts were the direct cause of that allergy (and somehow linked the others) is a little absurd. I doubt peanut consumption has drastically risen in recent years, so it really isn't a good explanation for the rise in allergies. However, environmental toxins have risen in recent years... just saying. It is probably some combination of genetic susceptability and environmental toxin exposure that is causing the increase, which is also the leading theory regarding the rise of other issues, such as autism.

MrsWhiteCastle replied to cheeezie25's response:
I agree with you, and have wondered myself if the rise in toxins has contributed to the rise in allergies.

Actually, as a mother of a DD with nut allergies, I always cringe when I read articles like the one linked in the original post. I guess it's the guilt that I have. These articles always tend to make me wonder if it's my fault, and that I could have done something to prevent DD's allergy.

sbgldngrl replied to MrsWhiteCastle's response:
I also think it is absurd because I ate the exact same way with both pregnancies and my first has allergies and asthma and my second doesnt. The only difference with my pregnancies was I took extra DHA-Omega 3 pills because my pedi said she had read some research that it might help. I won't say those that is the reason why my daughter doesn't have allergies though. I have allergies, so it is in the family. My mom developed asthma while preggo with me and I also had asthma. We also live in the central valley which has the highest asthma rate. I think there are many factors and I doubt anyone will ever be able to pinpoint the exact cause of asthma, allergies, autism ...etc.

cheeezie25 replied to MrsWhiteCastle's response:
No, I would not feel guilty at all. I agree that articles such as this obscure the issues that are really the likely cause of increasing health problems and allergies/disorders/diseases. For instance, the idea that pregnant women should limit their tuna consumption because of the mercury and PCB content of the fish. Why are these fish so full of these toxins? Because they live in polluted water, of course. What composes 90% of the human body and is a requirement for us to drink to live? Water of course. One could argue that modern water filtration systems can eliminate a good deal of toxins from our water supply, but let's face it... it isn't eliminating ALL of the toxins. Not to mention the water used to grow plants and hydrate animals that compose our food source... but of course, scaring pregnant women and trying to blame their actions for the rise in health and developmental problems is a lot easier and cost effective than actually trying to fix the bigger ecological problems that got us here in the first place...

Ok, I could probably go on a very long rant about this, but I think you get the point: Don't feel bad about eating peanuts!

seeit2 replied to MrsWhiteCastle's response:
I don't feel guilty. It is what it is. And let's face it, blaming the mom is a tried and true reaction to many developmental issues. I remember when autism was said to be caused by moms who were "too cold" - emotionally unavailable - they called them "refrigerator moms" and blamed autism on that! Like somehow these women did not love their kids well enough and that caused their autism. Can you believe that?

My doc trained at Johns Hopkins, one of the only places they are doing any real food allergy research, and she assures me that food allergy will be eradicated (she uses the word cured) in DD's lifetime. They are already helping kids with peanut allergy through tolerance training. Hopefully we will discover the cause in the process too.

Deb

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Becky I'm a 26 yr old single mother of a beautiful biracial 2 yr old son. Currently I'm looking for work and going back to school f...More

Helpful Tips

2 1/2 yr old Will Not Eat Regular Food
My 2 1/2 yr old grandson will not eat regular food for lunch or diner. He only wants baby food. We have tried puree the food, putting it in ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.