Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Kids in Speech Therapy?
cheeezie25 posted:
Hello! I haven't been on too much lately, but I think I remember from before reading that quite a few kids (or at least more than I probably expected) from the board were in speech therapy, or some type of therapy for speech delays. My son just started his therapy last week. It isn't with an actual ST, she is more of a "communication teacher" or something... I am getting him a speech eval through the local children's hospital, but that isn't until December, so until then, we just have to go with what was offered through the state.

I don't really have any specific questions, but I am just curious about everyone's experiences with that, i.e., what they thought was causing the delays, how all the kids are progressing, etc. Thanks!

katieb426 responded:
Hmm... I can't think of anyone whose child is in speech therapy, but I'm sure there are others. There are several who have had some sort of physical delay and getting physical therapy (including my Lilly).

Is his speech therapy through Early Intervention? Have they identified what the delay is? Are you going through the children's hospital for a reason? Just curious about that. I often wonder if I need to have Lilly evaluated by "fresh" eyes because I haven't been satisfied with the answers her physical therapist and doctor have given me.
Katie, Randy, Ella (7), Owen (5), Connor (4), Lilly (2)

cheeezie25 replied to katieb426's response:
Hmm, I do go on a different website too, so maybe I am confusing them lol. His (pseudo) speech therapy is through Early Intervention. I contacted the Children's hospital speech pathology department to do an independent evaluation, because I don't really think EI recommended enough therapy for him. He is only scheduled to work with this teacher for an hour once every two weeks, and I don't think that is enough and I think he really should be working with an actual speech therapist. Right now, "no" is the only word he says, and he'll be 2yo in January. They think the delay is from him having low muscle tone, and his oral muscles are just not developed enough to form the words for speech. This makes alot of sense because it is obvious that he understands everything you say to him and he can communicate very well non-verbally, but I just want a second opinion. Unfortunately, I don't think the state views his case as high priority since he is doing very well developmentally in other areas, but I just don't want him to fall behind here

So yeah, that is basically our story I don't think it ever hurts to get a second opinion, especially if your gut is telling you that the first opinion is off or just not complete, you know? I say go for it!

jffa7677 replied to cheeezie25's response:
Older DS had Speech, OT, SE, and PT. My younger DS currently is receiving OT, Speech and SE (starting soon). They both started at 1x60 a week. After the 6 month review I was able to up it to 2x60 a week. Pretty much I have constant communication with his service coordinator and a good relationship with his teachers. If I felt something was not right I bug until it was. If you are through early intervention, get on your service coordinators case about wanting more visits or another evaluation through them. What does you teacher seem to think about it? My older son also went to a developmental pediatrician because they had concerns of his brain development but that was due to a car accident at 2 months of age. But that did help with getting him some of his services because they would give their recommendations for classes too. I had been told that my younger one might not get more services because the state I live in is basically broke and no money to pay for the addition sessions but my service coordinator came through earlier this week and told me the good new and his 2x60 starts next week. I would talk to your service coordinator, they get paid to get you service and if you are not happy, it is their job to make you happy. Good Luck

leftcoastgirl responded:
Although my DD isn't in speech therapy, your DS sounds a lot like her. When she turned 2, she barely spoke at all. "No" was about it ... and then she added a few words like "ball" and "yeah." Our doctor felt comfortable with where she was at her 2-year appt because, like your son, she seemed to understand everything we said. The pedi recommended getting an EI evaluation if she didn't speak in two-word sentences by the time she was 2.5 (at the end of December).

DD is 28 months now, and over the past three weeks she has gone through a huge jump with her spoken language. She's literally added dozens of words to her vocabulary, can count to 13 and can identify almost every letter of the alphabet (G and Q give her trouble - she knows the rest). It's been astounding to watch this happen. I have no doubt that your DS will go through the same thing - especially considering you're already doing communication therapy. Good luck!!
Me (34), DH (34), DD (2)

linzuh04 replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
Same here....DS said about 5 words until he turned 2, and now is adding words everyday! It's insane how it just seemed like overnight he started talking....lol.
ME (20s) DH (pushing 30) DD(2006) DS (2008)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello I have two toddlers and they are good boys my oldest one is Adrien he is 2 and a half and Angel 1 in a half however Angel only wants to sleep in...More

Helpful Tips

2 1/2 yr old Will Not Eat Regular Food
My 2 1/2 yr old grandson will not eat regular food for lunch or diner. He only wants baby food. We have tried puree the food, putting it in ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.