Skip to content
HELP!! DD won't pee
earleyml1012 posted:
So a few of you know that I tried the 3 day potty training book and it failed miserably with DD. Well we put her in pull-ups yesterday for daycare and she peed 1 time during the day. Her pull-up was wet again when we got home but then she didn't pee again before bed, unless she went in the bath tub. Well she was dry this morning and kept doing the I have to pee dance but would not pee. She asked to go potty but wouldn't pee in the potty or her pants. I think due to the techniques in the book, she thinks peeing is bad. For some reason she's 50/50 with pooping, she'll go but she cries the entire time. Any suggestions on how I can get her comfortable with peeing again? I personally want to put her back in diapers but DH is adominant about her going on the potty and putting her in diapers will be a step back. In my opinion just getting her comfortable with peeing again is what we need to do first and then wait a few months to try potty training again.

miob responded:
I agree with you - I'd put her back in daipers until she's comfortable again and delay the potty training. If she's freaked out by the whole process now, making her proceed now when she's scared isn't going to help. The poor thing. I'd wait until she seems like she's over the experience with the 3 day book and move forward from there. JMO! Good luck!

cduffy responded:
Totally agree with MIOB. Put her back in diapers, the poor baby! It's so sad that she's so scared; what a horrible experience for you all. Besides, pull ups are basically a diaper anyway...so just give her the diapers she was comfortable with and try again in a few months. Good luck!
Me (33) Proud mama to my pretty little pixie (9.28.08) and my dashing little dude (5.13.10).

earleyml1012 replied to cduffy's response:
I feel absolutely awful about this whole thing. Like it's my fault but I never yelled at her for peeing so I'm not sure why she thought peeing was bad. Unless she could sense my frustration, which I'm sure she could. I called the daycare, they are putting her back into diapers and are going to offer her lots to drink to force it out of her. Hopefully she'll feel comfortable again and we'll try again in a few months.

I learned something very valuable through this. Children are not books and we need to just go with our own gut feelings on things. I honestly thought she was ready b/c she would ask to go potty often just never did anything on it. I thought she just needed to be in underwear but wetting herself freaked her out. My poor baby! :c( I'm so sad for her. It's hard being at work when I know she's scared.

cduffy replied to earleyml1012's response:
Aww..don't feel bad! I think as moms we have the compulsion to turn to books because we are always looking for the best way to do things. It just happened in this case that it wasn't the best thing for your family. You are a good mama! She'll be fine!
Me (33) Proud mama to my pretty little pixie (9.28.08) and my dashing little dude (5.13.10).

linzuh04 replied to earleyml1012's response:
Dont feel bad at all!! She's just not ready. It's not your fault or hers. It's a learning experience for both of you. I started at 18 mos with DD and she was PTd at 32 mos....on her own. She decided she was going to wear panties and there were no accidents and no turning back. This time around I've learned many things. DS tells me he has to go alot too, but very rarely goes. Just put her on the potty when she asks, praise her when she goes, and you;ll know when she's ready.....she'll tell you!
ME (20s) DH (pushing 30) DD(2006) DS (2008)

neeru_pdx responded:
I know where you are coming from. I was there too. DD is now over 4, happily potty trained (on her own terms) and she says that we can have to call the "diaper bag" something else now (She suggested "underpants bag"!).
We put her back in diapers. Actually, let her choose what she wanted. It was a big step in getting her happy again - letting her choose and having no stake in her choice. She was in diapers for a while, and starting feeling a lot happier, and then moved forward on her own a few (2 or 3?) months later. We still let her choose now, but she'll only choose a diaper at night (and often still wake dry) or once when she had a vaginal irritation and was scared she'd have to pee en route to our destination (doctor's office).
A few low stress weeks in diapers will help your DD feel better, I'm sure of it.
I'm sorry you (and she) had to go through this too It will not be a step back to go back to diapers, even though it feels like it now. It will be a step forward, because you have learned something and will proceed differently now. It is a reset, but not all the way back to square one.
Good luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Courtney, and I'm a 33 year old mother of a beautiful little lady born 9/08 and a handsome little guy born 5/10 and wife to a wonderful ma...More

Helpful Tips

PULLDOWN BURNS
I read almost all of Dr. B. Nazario's articles and one item I see missing is what is known as "Pulldown Burns" among the medical and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.