Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Two year old with swollen lymph node
kyrasma posted:
Hi,

My two year old daughter has what I am guessing would be a swollen cervical lymph node on the right side of her neck. It does not seem to bother her when I touch it and she is not visibly sick. I also have not found any in other places on her body. There is just the one on her neck. I have just worried myself to death because I have been searching the internet and I keep seeing the word "cancer". That scares me to death. I know it is a very slim chance that a two year old will have cancer, but it also not impossible either. I am taking her to the doctor Monday, but from what I read on the internet the doctors pretty much just tell them they have swollen lymph nodes. My problem is I want to know the cause because right now I do not see one. I am afraid that they will just brush it off. What if it is something serious? How will they know if they do not do any tests? I don't know. I am just worried sick. I hope and pray that it is only a swollen lymph node but I want to be 100% sure with no shadow of a doubt that it is not anything else. If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

cduffy responded:
It's just the body's way of fighting off infection. Both my kids have randomly had them. I'm sure she's fine.
The Mom: 33. The Pixie: 9.28.08. The Dude: 5.13.10.

ryanandleigh responded:
Honestly, it could be anything. The worse thing to do is try to find out what it is on the internet as that will just scare you. Is the area hard or soft? Has it gotten bigger at all? My daughter had a small lump under her armpit one day. I took her in and it was an abscess. They determined by looking and feeling it. Since then she has had several abscess form under her armpits and one in the groin area. They are staph infections which are very common for kids to get. So this could be something similar or as other poster said, it could be just a normal body reaction to fighting off an infection. Wait for the doctor to examine her and then feel free to ask tons of questions until you feel reassured about it.
Leigh, Jacen (5), Alexa (2)

lenono97 responded:
I just had my daughter at the doctor last week for her 2 year check up. While doing the exam the doctor mentioned her lymph nodes were swollen, similar to what you described. I had never noticed. But she said it is very normal in children this age and nothing to worry about.

mandabk responded:
This could be my post to the T. My 2 year old son has a swollen node on his right side back of neck. I carried him to TC Thompson childrens hospital a few days ago. They did blood work, checked everything there is no infection anywhere in his body that they could find. Sent us home with a very strong antibiotic. So far it hasn't went down, so today we went to his normal dr.He did a mono and a couple other test...nothing he looked at me and said he did not have an answer for me, that he did not know why just this one was swollen and him not being sick or has been sick in anyway. So he referred me to a hematologist that will be next week sometime. I am so worried and scared as well. The only advice I can give you is ask for blood work an ultrasound anything it takes to find out why it's swollen bc there is a reason. My son's bloodwork the first time his wbc were elevated and today those were normal but the rbc were elevated. Weird. I'm scared it's cancer but I'm going to make them do whatever it takes as fast as possible to give me some answers in case it is something serious we can catch it early. Not like some stories I've read where the drs. said let's wait to see if it goes down, come back in a month and the kid had stage 4 cancer. My son is also not sick, and when I feel it it doesn't bother him. Go with what you know is right and do not let any dr. dismiss you demand test.Good luck and best wishes for you and your babygirl.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am married to an incredible man, Dustin and we have a wonderful son Austin who was born in January 2009. I have been coming to the WebMD site since ...More

Helpful Tips

i agree with kittykatk8
resetting should help. i do the same thing with potty training. i would get my little girl up abpout every 3-4 hrs and make her go and she ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.