Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nail Biting
kaylamae76 posted:
My daughter is two and a half years old and recently starting biting her nails. My niece, who is four, also bites her nails, and I think that my daught may have picked it up from her. Any advice on how to get her to stop biting her nails?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kaylamae,

Have you tried putting fingernail polish on her nails? Maybe you could put some non-toxic color on and convince her that princesses do not bite their nails? Just an idea, since I have a very "girly" daughter who loves being a princess.

Here is a WebMD article Stop Nail Biting that might give you other ideas. Does anyone else in the community have little nail biters?
Best Wishes! Amelia

kaylamae76 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
We've tried that, she really isn't that into being girly yet. she likes dress up but still likes to help her dad working on the car and doesn't mind getting dirty. We've painted her nails and it doesn't seem to bother her at all because she keeps biting her nails. I have also told her I will not paint her nail again until she stops biting them... needless to say this hasn't worked.

linzuh04 responded:
My daughter went through that phase when she was that age too, and we just had to keep reinfocring that you shouldnt bite your nails because of germs ETC and finally at 4 she has stopped. The only thing you really can do is reward for not biting, frequent hand washing, and wait it out...
ME (20s) DH (pushing 30) DD(2006) DS (2008)

Lisa_F responded:
My daughter just stated doing this too and it is driving me crazy. I first noticed her doing it when she was getting her eye teeth and it now seems to be a habit, she even bits her toenails. Rite aid has a bitter tasting solution for thumb suckers and I was thinking of trying that but have not yet.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 41year mummy to a gorgeous daughter born 11/12/2008. August 2010 I had brain surgery to repair 2 unruptured aneurysms. I love being a stay a...More

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.