Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PTing...yet another post.
cduffy posted:
I know this dead horse has been beaten over and over again, but I have to ask your advice!

So on Friday last week, DD came to me and said she needed to go potty then went by herself, then the same with poop. So I thought, "ok, we're doing the undies today. Period". She said she wanted to, it was exciting, she only had one accident on Friday, YAY! Well, then came Saturday. She started getting very anxious and would always say no if I asked her if she needed to go potty. Then she would potty in her undies. Then she started crying if you took her into the bathroom to try. It ended Saturday afternoon with her taking off her undies and throwing them down the stairs, then she asked for her diaper back.

What am I doing wrong here? I know physically she is ready, but emotionally it seems another story. It seems like the only time she really cares to put her potty and poop in the toilet is if she is bare bummed. If she has anything on, diaper or undies, she doesn't have the motivation anymore. Is she truly just not ready? From you veterans, is there anything else I should be doing here? For now, we've backed off and let her wear diapers again; I really don't want her to have this anxiety about the bathroom and hating her undies. I HATE this phase!
The Mom:  33.

The Pixie:  9.28.08.

The Dude:  5.13.10.

Jackie03291 responded:
Ava went through a couple of short phases like this, and the thing that always seemed to snap her back on track was consistently reminding her of the great reward she got for going on the potty.

We have a jar of m&m's that we keep in the bathroom and she gets 1 if she goes pee on the potty and 2 if she goes poop. She LOVES getting her m&m's and I think that after a couple of accidents and being reminded that now she doesn't get a candy for using the potty like a big girl, she snapped out of that funk quicker and quicker each time. If you don't want to use candy, her daycare also uses stickers, and they have a piece of paper taped to the bathroom door and everytime she uses the potty there she gets to stick a sicker on the paper.

Good luck, and I would say that she is ready she just needs you to keep pushing her forward. Don't go back, you've already come this far. I promise that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's quickly approaching! :)
Jackie (26) Bryan (34) Ava 10/14/08

ryanandleigh responded:
I agree that she is probably physically ready but she also really has to be emotionally ready. It is one thing to do it one day but she may not have realized that you wanted her to do this EVERY day. We went cold turkey to underwear and sometimes she would ask for diapers, we showed her that we had none left. About a week later she stopped asking. So you know your DD best. If you think pushing her would work, you can work on rewards and push PT with no diapers. Or you can give her another month or so and then try it. You might try marking the calendar and letting her know in advance "this is the day you say goodbye to diapers". We did that with both kids and it worked well.
Leigh, Jacen (5), Alexa (2)

cduffy replied to Jackie03291's response:
We definitely have rewards for her...m&ms and a potty chart. She gets a smiley for potty and a star for poop. She is very proud of that, but I don't know. Now I feel like I'm giving her mixed signals for going back to diapers. I was on the fence about continuing to try, but DH is dead set against it so back to diapers we went. I don't know...thanks for the responses ladies!
The Mom: 33. The Pixie: 9.28.08. The Dude: 5.13.10.

ambern99 responded:
When potty training DS he was bare bummed for almost a whole week. I think the idea of wearing undies is strange to them and more a nuisance when starting out PTing. With DS, unless we went out or someone was coming over, he stayed naked. Every so often I would put undies on but if he took them off I didn't force the issue. After a couple weeks he started keeping them on longer. We also stated to show him that mommy and daddy have undies too and that helped a lot with having him wear his underpants. It took about 3 weeks before he was actually wearing his undies on a consistent basis while at home. Try to remember one step at a time! Saying that over and over again helped me get through it. ;-)HTH

linzuh04 responded:
DD was like that too. We started PTing her at 18 mos, and at 31-32 mos she was FINALLY PTd to the point where I could take her in public and she's had maybe 3-5 accidents.

When we were PTing her, she would get SO MAD at us for reminding her to go, that she WOULD just go on the floor. One day she came up to me and said "I teetee'd on the floor, you need to go clean it up".

Instead of making it a big deal, maybe back off a bit. DS has pooped on the potty for 4 days straight.....told me he had to go, walked in there and put the potty seat on, got a piece of candy, so I made a big deal about going to the potty and getting candy, and he pooped in his diaper.

I think it is just something that will come with time. Just keep reinforcing that big girls wear panties and use potties and that only babies, like her brother, wear diapers (that was a fun game...I remember that!) mommy wears panties, grandma wears panties, just keep saying it, and eventually it will click.
ME (20s) DH (pushing 30) DD(2006) DS (2008)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 29 year old mommy to a wonderful almost 2 year old girl named Mackenzee

Helpful Tips

Milk
Has your little one decided to boycott milk? If so, dont "sugar coat" it with strawberry or chocolate. Try adding a small amount of vanilla ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.