Skip to content
How long does it take
Lisa_F posted:
your toddler to fall asleep? It seems like no matter what I do it takes my daughter an hour to fall asleep. She has had the same bed time routine since birth. Bath, pj's, saying good night to her dad and grandma and than upstairs with me.

I nursed her for the first year but she rarely fell asleep while nursing. At a year her nursing was replaced with reading time.

For a little while I kept pushing her bed time back thinking maybe I was taking her up to early but that made no difference so we are back to going upstairs between 7 and 7:15, lights at at 7:45 and I sit in her room till she falls asleep which is usually close to 9.

She was napping for 2 1/2 to 3 hr and about a month ago I started waking her after 1 1/2 to 2 hr but that has not made a difference.

There is about the same amount of time between her waking in the morning and her nap, as her waking from her nap and bed time but it only takes her about 5 min to fall asleep for nap.

oh and if she wakes at night she is often up for 1-3 hrs.

Is it normal for it to take toddlers so long to settle to sleep at bedtime? Does anyone have suggestions on how to help her fall asleep faster?

sarahann1978 responded:
Maybe trying leaving her room. If she sees you in there maybe she thinks you will eventually pick her up. When I put DS down I walk away and he is usually out in less than 5 minutes.
Sarah (32), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

lenono97 responded:
I agree with the PP. I wouldn't sit in her room. It's possible she thinks it's still play time or is wanting to interact with you.

My daughter usually falls asleep pretty quickly. Sometimes I will hear her talking to herself 45 minutes after I put her down. As long as she is not crying or being loud, I let her be. Othertimes, when I check on her before I go to bed I notice she is still in the same place I put her down in. Meaning she feel asleep right away.

So I guess my suggestion would be to just say goodnight and leave the room. It's ok for her to lie and talk to her self for a while. I once read it's there way of relaxing and processing what they learned that day. Same if she wakes at night. I only go in if the crying doesn't stop after a couple of minutes or is getting louder. Then make, sure everything is ok, say goodnight and leave the room again.

Helpful Tips

tips please toddler refuses to sleep in his crib....
how can I put my 1 and a half to sleep in his crib the whole night ?? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.